I saw in the dictionary the verb anfragen is vi. (intransitive verb, verb that doesn't take object word.) Someone asked me

A. Darf ich Sie anfragen?

But I think it should be fixed to

B. Darf ich Sie etwas fragen? or
C. Darf ich Ihnen über etwas anfragen?

Is my understanding correct?

And I thought, when the speaker and listener know what the topic is,

D. Darf ich Ihnen anfragen?

can also be said. Is D ok?

I'm almost sure my understanding is correct, but just to make sure, please tell me which is wrong, which is correct.

Darf ich Sie anfragen?

That one is correct. You are asking whether you may come back to this person right now.

Darf ich Sie etwas fragen?

Also correct, but it doesn't mean the same thing. Anfragen specifically means asking for supplies or an appointment.

Darf ich Ersatzteile anfragen?

May I inquire replacement parts?

Darf ich Ihnen über etwas anfragen?

Darf ich Ihnen anfragen?

Both incorrect because the dative object to anfragen is (as usual) the person who receives something.

Soll ich Ihnen einen Termin in der Werkstatt anfragen?

Should I get you an appointment at the garage?

• Ich kenne Darf ich Sie anfragen? nicht in der Bedeutung "whether you may come back to this person right now" (sondern, wie es auch help-info.de in seiner Antwort erklärt, nur mit Bezug auf einen Sänger/Autor/..., den man für einen Auftritt/eine Lesung buchen will). Das letzte Beispiel (jmdm. einen Termin in der Werkstatt anfragen) ist mir überhaupt nicht geläufig. In Harras et al., Handbuch deutscher Kommunikationsverben, Teil 1, 2004, Eintrag "anfragen" ist eine solche Verwendung auch nicht verzeichnet. Eventuell regional? – johnl Jul 27 '18 at 21:34
    I see. I later found in a separate item in the dictionary thay we can use jn (bei jm) nach et. anfragen as ask someone for something as a transitive verb. Now I can understand your answer and how to use the word. Vielen Dank! – Chan Kim Jul 28 '18 at 3:51

It is possible to ask this short question (A: Darf ich Sie anfragen?) in connection with the preparation of a lecture event i.e. ask for possible speakers.

Fixing A in this context to B, C or D ist wrong.

C and D are wrong as German.

In another context question B in itself is a correct sentence.

• @MarzipanHerz - thanks. Edited my answer. – help-info.de Jul 27 '18 at 17:50

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.