votes

I was wondering about a verb which has different prefixes.

How should I properly search for grammar rules and became more familiar with their meanings, particularly in Deutsch Sprache?

For instance, the main word is bauen and its derivatives:

• aufbauen
  • umbauen
  • anbauen
  • verbauen
  • ausbauen
  • etc.
  • Could you please be more specific? Do you just want to know a search term? – Janka Jul 31 '18 at 23:00
  • Oh, and your bauen list is incomplete, there's also erbauen, bebauen, vorbauen, überbauen, etc etc all with their own tricky non-obvious meanings – Janka Jul 31 '18 at 23:01
  • Ich denke, er möchte wissen wie das linguistische Phänomen heißt, dass ein Verbstamm mit unterschiedlichen Vorsilben unterschiedliche Bedeutung haben kann. – Javatasse Aug 1 '18 at 1:28
    This phenomenon is not restricted to German. So to me it is not clear if the question is about the linguistic phenomenon in general or about German verbs of this kind. – RHa Aug 1 '18 at 8:00
    After the significant change of the question I think it's better to create a new one because this question has been put on hold and it doesn't look that you are going to get an answer here. – Eller Aug 1 '18 at 15:55
vote

I'm not really sure what you want to know. As far as I understand you, you are talking about something that is neither specific for German language, nor for verbs. I think, you are just talking about word formation (the act of creating new words from already existing ones) (Wortbildung in German).

Creating new words by adding prefixes, interfixes or suffixes ("affixes" as general term) is called derivation (Derivation in German). It exists in English too, and is not limited to verbs.

English examples (verbs):

de + form → deform
in + form → inform
per + form → perform
re + form → reform

Note, that deform, inform, perform etc. are distinct words. They are not forms of form! And the same is true for aufbauen, umbauen, anbauen etc. in German. They are distinct words.

Non-verb examples:

English:

im + possible → impossible
extra + terrestrial → extraterrestrial
over + dressed → overdressed
mid + night → midnight
sub + marine → submarine

German:

ab + Leitung → Ableitung
durch + Schnitt → Durchschnitt
un + möglich → unmöglich

Addendum

Yesterday evening you edited your question and changed it. Now you ask for a list or table of such verbs. This was not part of your initial question. It is strongly discouraged to change a question this way! Editing is for correction of typos, not for changing the question!

But anyway. Here is your table: Liste deutscher Präfixe

Editing is for correction of typos, not for changing the question! Just for the records: editing is for clarification of a question as well. Your addendum reads a little grumpy, which I don't understand. As a high rep user you should know that an unclear question can change to any degree between not at all and dramatically. – Arsak Aug 2 '18 at 7:22
  • Ich habe diese Frage eingefroren und die neue wiederaufgemacht, um das Chaos kleinzuhalten. Wenn Du möchtest, kannst Du eine Antwort auf die neue Frage schreiben, oder eine passende Frage mit dieser Antwort als Selbst-Antwort schreiben. Ansonsten gilt, was Marzipanherz gesagt hat: Wer unklare Fragen beantwortet, muss mit dem Risiko leben, dass er die Antwort nach Klarstellung ungültig wird. – Wrzlprmft Aug 3 '18 at 5:54

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.