I'm guessing it means something along the lines of "How's it going?"

Does it have a more specific query? What does the question imply?

Context: One of my friends asked me this after we caught up after a long time. Complete Question: Wie geht's? Läuft der Hase?

I've encountered similar phrases when I searched on the internet but nothing specifically for this expression.

I guess, you are addressing Jemand weiß, wie der Hase läuft, meaning knowledge of a typical sequence of actions and causes. I'm not aware of any similar fixed phrase. – guidot Aug 22 '18 at 9:57

I've encountered this expression several times among young adults in the south-west of Germany. In my experience, it is simply meant as a slightly humorous, light-hearted greeting among friends, basically asking "Is everything well?", "Is life going according to your plans?".

It might originally stem from other phrases as Hubert Schölnast and IQV suspect, but I don't think the speakers I've met consciously intended to reference those.

| improve this answer | |

Of course, we do not know, how the friend comes to this expression. I think it is not a common phrase which can be heard often.

I assume, his question is a mix of two better known expressions:

First there is the expression

"Wissen, wie der Hase läuft" or "So läuft der Hase"

This means that someone knows how something works, knows about the thing, is well-versed. An English equivalent to this expression is "to know which way the wind blows".

The second expression is

Läuft bei dir?

which is an expression of the actual youth language. Actually "Läuft bei dir!" is a congratulation when something is successful. So the question "Läuft bei dir?" is used to ask if all goes smoothly.

So I guess the friend mixed this two expressions together and the meaning is something like

How are things going?

This is not a common or well known phrase. Maybe it is a phrase that is used in a certain peer group (as part of the culture of this social group).

I just can guess the same as you. Obviously your friend did mean:

Wie geht es dir?
How are you?

This it the literal translation of the phrase you heard:

Läuft der Hase?
Is the rabbit running?

But I think the phrase was meant as an ellipsis (i.e. an incomplete sentence). In this case the full sentence would be:

Wie läuft der Hase?
How is the rabbit running?

There is a similar phrase in German. Guidot is referring to it in his comment. This phrase is:

wissen, wie der Hase läuft

The literal translation is

to know how the rabbit is running

The corresponding English phrases are:

to know how the land lies
to know how the wind blows
to know how things are going on
to be around long enough
to be experienced

I think, that your friend had this phrase in mind when he asked you, but what he really wanted to know was just

How are you?

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.