According to the letters the sounds in the beginning of "jung" is [ju] and in the beginning of "jünger" is [jy].

While is there synaeresis (even "j" is regarded as a consonant) combining [ju] or [jy] into the same vowel [y]?

And are the vowels got loose in these words, so we get [ø]?

• The last line seems to be a separate question, and I don't understand that one. What is get loose supposed to mean? – guidot Aug 23 '18 at 7:08

German has a relatively strict mapping between sounds and letters. You can find this mapping-rules in this document, in § 1: Regeln und Wörterverzeichnis

Some of these rules are:

• The short vowels [ʊ] and [u] and the long vowel [u:] are written with the letter »u«
    ([u:] sometimes also as »uh«)
  • The short vowels [ʏ] and [y] and the long vowel [y:] are written with the letter »ü«
    ([y:] sometimes also as »üh«)
  • The short vowels [œ] and [ø] and the long vowel [ø:] are written with the letter »ö«

Examples:

• Mund = [mʊnt]
  • zuvor = [ʦuˈfoːɐ̯]
  • gut = [ɡuːt]
  • Kuh = [kuː]
  • hübsch = [hʏpʃ]
  • Büro = [byˈʀoː]
  • trüb = [tʀyːp]
  • kühl = [kyːl]
  • löschen = [ˈlœʃn̩]
  • Ökonomie = [ˌøkonoˈmiː]
  • schön = [ʃøːn]

Conclusions of this rules are (for German words only):

• The letter u is never pronounced as [ʏ], [y], [y:], [œ], [ø] or [ø:].
  • The letter ü is never pronounced as [ʊ], [u], [u:], [œ], [ø] or [ø:].
  • The letter ö is never pronounced as [ʊ], [u], [u:], [ʏ], [y] or [y:].

Note, that this rules apply only for German words. There are exceptions for foreign words like »Buffet« = [bʏˈfeː] which are pronounced very similar to the pronunciation in their original language (French in case of Buffet).

Jung is a German word, which means, that it obeys these rules. So, the pronunciation of jung and jünger are:

• jung = [jʊŋ]
  • jünger = [ˈjʏŋɐ]

Note, that in German there also exist some minimal pairs for [ʊ]-[ʏ]

• Mutter - Mütter (mother, mothers)

[ˈmʊtɐ] - [ˈmʏtɐ]

• drucken - drücken (print, press)

[ˈdʀʊkn̩] - [ˈdʀʏkn̩]

I have heart some northern dialects, where the letter »i« sometimes is pronounced as [ʏ] instead of [ɪ] (»Fische« = [fʏʃə] instead of [fɪʃə]), but I'm not aware of any German dialect, where »u« is pronounced like »ü« or vice versa. And I also don't know any German dialect, where »u« or »ü« would sound like »ö«.

In German there also is no synaeresis that would eliminate the consonant [j] before any vowel.

| improve this answer | |
    There are some north-german dialects (or rather more, regional specialties) that pronounce "i" as "ü" or even close to "ö" - "Kirche/Kürche/Körche" (Braunschweig area). I have, however, never heard this in "jünger". – tofro Aug 23 '18 at 7:15

I have never heard of ju and jü pronounced the same. (I am not native, but live here for a while) In German language the written form and the pronounced sounds have a clear and strong connection. You might have heard somebody speaking in dialect.

| improve this answer | |

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.