When using a preposition that requires the usage of dative, does the dative also apply to "ein paar" in this case.

So is it

Ich werde mit ein paar Kindern wohnen.

or

Ich werde mit einem paar Kindern wohnen.

• The second sentence is wrong, and the first one sounds strange. More context would be helpful to suggest something, a quick fix might be to replace wohnen by zusammen wohnen. – guidot Aug 28 '18 at 8:28

Your second sentence is wrong. To make it orthographically correct, you had to write paar with an uppercase P, since it is a noun in this sentence. But then the sentence gets a weird meaning:

Ich werde mit ein paar Kindern wohnen.
I will live with some children.

Ich werde mit einem Paar Kindern wohnen.
I will live with a pair of children.

Why is this?

• paar (lower case, an indefinite pronoun i.e not a noun)
    ein paar = some (a small countable amount)
  • Paar (uppercase first letter, a noun)
    ein Paar = a couple (a pair of two things that belong together)

Ein paar is a phrase that means some. So, if you use einem instead of ein, you no longer use this phrase.

If you use einem, then it is a singular article (a or an in English), so it refers to one thing. So it can't refer to Kinder which is in plural. It only can refer to Paar, so

• einem paar is just wrong and nonsense
  • einem Paar is grammatical correct and has a meaning. It means: a pair
  • I fail to recognize, in which respect ein Paar Kinder could be corrrect apart from a child marriage. But also the first sentence mit ein paar Kindern wohnen sounds like a non-idiomatic translation, which I'm unable to improve without more context. – guidot Aug 28 '18 at 8:22

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.