What is the meaning of the word "überrannt"? whenever I search for for it in any dictionary, it ends by the verb überrennen.

it ends by the verb überrennen.

"überrannt" is the past of "überrennen".
In this phrase "überrannt" is the passive form of "überrennen", that's why dictionaries take you there.

In this context "überrennen" is figurative. It means something comes quite fast and unexpected, it overstrains one's mind or capabilities. There is no time to get prepared and react appropriately to a situation.
I think this expression has no present form, there is only this past form "überrannt werden".

Perhaps these two phrases shall say: the smartphones came too fast, there was no chance to prepare and handling them is too much for the people.

It's not this question's topic but the second phrase is wrong. It must be "über ihren". It still sounds odd to me, I have no exact idea what this phrase wants to express.

Edit

I searched for this phrase and found an article that could be your source.
It talks about an app that examines user behavior on smartphones.
"wir wurden überrannt" - they didn't expect so many users would join this research and use the app.
Then: this (the amount of people that joined) shows that ...

|improve this answer|||||
  • Thank you so much .... May be I made a mistake while I changed the sentence by myself. The original sentence is: "Wir wurden überrannt", sagt er. "Das zeigt, dass die Leute über ihrem Umgang mit diesen Geräten verunsichert sind" – Millen Sep 15 '18 at 7:43
  • See my edit. Btw it really is ihren – puck Sep 15 '18 at 9:30
    Unfortunately, your grammatical analysis is wrong. The form “überrannt” is a past participle, and it is used here for passive voice. Only “wurden” makes it past tense, it could just as well be present tense “werden”. – Carsten S Sep 15 '18 at 10:14
    @CarstenS You are absolutely right! I only had the single word "überrannt" in mind to explain why it doesn't appear in some dictionaries. But nevertheless this should be expressed correctly. Thanks! I will edit my text to respect this. – puck Sep 16 '18 at 6:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.