I've seen

Haba Dere Gibt´s a Bier

on t-shirts but can't find a translation. Thanks

You may watch old movies with actor Hans Moser from the 1920s to early 1960s, and you will have dialogues where a felt 50 per cent of words spoken are "Habe die Ehre". – Christian Geiselmann Sep 16 '18 at 20:11
    To the member who voted "unclear what you're asking": the question in the title can hardly be any clearer than that. – Björn Friedrich Sep 17 '18 at 7:04

"Habe die Ehre" is a Bavarian/Austrian (and also other region's) greeting when coming or leaving. It literally means "I have the honour" but it means "Hi" when joining a group.

"Haba dere" is the drunk version of that: Search for it, there are lots websites with stuff about it. There are even T-shirts with this idiom on it.

"Gibt's a Bier" means "is there beer" / "do you/they have beer here"?

So this is the equivalent of the American English Expression:

Wazaa! Gotta Bud?

• "Haba Dere" is simply misspelled - either based on lack of knowledge or - if printed on T-shirts - ratheron purpuse in order to draw attention - for "Habe die Ehre" (meaning as you explained). – Christian Geiselmann Sep 16 '18 at 20:09
    "Habe Dere" is not misspelled, It is written bavarian dialect... – Mischa Sep 16 '18 at 21:00
  • @Mischa As there are no "rules" how to write Bavarian, Austrian, or what ever dialect of German, of course, you can claim this. However, if you ask people in Bavaria or Austria to write down "Habe die Ehre" in dialect, they would rather come up with something like "Hobe di Ähre" or so, i.e. something much closer to standard German. "Haba Dere" is purposefully distorted (especially with the capital D remaining from die that naturally does not have a capital D), probably with the intent of being funny. – Christian Geiselmann Sep 17 '18 at 8:32
  • @ChristianGeiselmann Bavarian is (or should be) only a spoken dialect, there are no official rules to write in this dialect which leads to people write like they speak. In Niederbayern as an example "Habe die Ehre" will be pronounced more like "Haba dere". (Source: The dad of a friend of mine does write "Haba Dere" and sometimes "Habe Dere", so as you can see even one person doesn't always stick to one version) – Mischa Sep 17 '18 at 15:01
  • i'd rather write "Habe d'Ehre" or "Hawedere", but then I'm Viennese. – ths Sep 17 '18 at 21:52

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.