Here is a quote from a book I'm trying to read in german:

"Karl Erikssons Haus lag in einem verwahrlosten Garten. Es war ein alter Schonenhof mit ehemals zwei Flügeln. Jetzt war der eine verschwunden, vielleicht war er abgebrannt, vielleicht abgerissen."

I'm having no luck in finding a translation for Schonenhof and Flügeln in this context.

When I google Schonenhof, a city in germany comes up, and there are no definitions in duden, dict.cc or google translator. Yelp

• You need to describe the book in your question. Don't make us guess. Please edit.
    – Jan Doggen
    Sep 24, 2018 at 8:27

5 Answers 5

That Schonenhof is probably a farm (Hof) typically found in the Swedish area of Schonen/Skåne.

I assume the larger of such farms have several wings (Flügel = wings, in this case of a building).

A typical Hof like that can be found here or perhaps here.

The text seems to be from a novel by Henning Mankell (one of my favourite authors), about Wallander, which generally play around Ystad, which is in Skåne.

Excerpt from Google Books.

• Very speculative, as the villages and citiesin Switzerland and Germany do not connect to Sweden? How can you be sure that this is not some kind of eg Altenteil, formed like Schonvermögen. Also I see not really the wings at all in the vacation ads. (The SH is more a term of function than of form?) uibk.ac.at/germanistik/histrom/cgi/… Sep 19, 2018 at 20:26
    The name "Karl Eriksson" looks very Swedish, so that would support the theory that "Schonen" refers to a Swedish province.
    – Uwe
    Sep 19, 2018 at 20:53
    Speculative? No, not at all. And I don't understand what you are asking with "as the villages and citiesin Switzerland and Germany do not connect to Sweden?". The wings may not be visible, but I assume many of them have wings left and right of the main building, e.g. like this example Sep 19, 2018 at 20:54
    LangLangC: "aus dem Schonenhof" sounds more like "aus dem Hof der Familie Schonen" (like e.g. "der Huberhof lag etwas abseits...") oder "im Gehöft Schonen" or similar. That is not "ein Schonenhof". Sep 19, 2018 at 21:00
    @LangLangC: the text seems to be from a Mankell novel, about Wallander, which generally play in Ystad, which is in Skåne (Schonen), Sweden. See here Sep 19, 2018 at 21:10

We are actually looking for a translation of this term from Swedish where it reads:

Det var en gammal Skånegård som en gång haft två längor.Mankell: Handen: Ett fall för Wallander

The German translation for skånegård obviously is Schonenhof, a term I haven't heard before but on searches for both, skånegård, and Schonenhof we can see that it is an apparently established term for a certain type of a Swedish farmhouse.

Flügel is the German translation of längor which would be wing in English.

• The most established translation I or Google could come up with is simply "old farmhouse". For a "traditional" house I would like to see some actual architectural tradition emerge from the pictures. Can you provide the link for your search that establishes that translation? (My searches and ngram point to the direction of recent invention) Sep 20, 2018 at 10:35
  • @LangLangC: I must disappoint you here - there is not dictionary entry, and no clear-cut definition. After looking at pages about skånegård houses I found the term "traditional Swedish" much more suitable than merely "old" (what Google translate suggested) because they are by no means all old. Not even the Swedish Wikipedia has a definition.
    – Takkat
    Sep 20, 2018 at 11:00
    @LangLangC: changed to "certain type" - this may be better indeed
    – Takkat
    Sep 20, 2018 at 11:49
  • Still have reservations (as apparent in other comments). Still struggle with "type", "established" and the incongruence between gård, house and Hof. (the latter might be just my lack of Swedish though) However for this instance of the word and for going to the source it's a +1 from me. [Are we walking on a frontier spirit here?] Sep 20, 2018 at 13:25
    @LangLangC: nah - it nags if I hear an apparently easy word I did not come across before (gård translates to Hof, Gehöft, Gut) ;)
    – Takkat
    Sep 20, 2018 at 13:30

Schonen is the German name of the province Skåne in Southern Sweden.

Maybe a Dreiseithof is meant, these were quite common in the area. The Flügel are the two wings of barns right and left of the entrance gate.

• According to aerial photos of this aera, it rather seems to be a Vierseitenhof with an entrance to the yard over a corner.
    – IQV
    Sep 20, 2018 at 6:32

Where a dictionary does not help, an encyclopedia might:

enter image description here

(Brockhaus Enzyklopädie, 19. Auflage.)

Ein "

Schonenhof

ist, wie andere bereits mitgeteilt haben, ein Bauernhof in Schonen so wie ein

Friesenhof

ein Bauernhof in Friesland ist und ein

Frankenhof

ein Bauernhof in Franken oder ein

Vierkanthof

ein Bauernhof in geschlossener (fast an eine typische römische villa rustica erinnernde) Bauform mit Verbreitungsgebiet vom oberösterreichischen Zentralraum bis über die niederösterreichische Moststraße. Nota bene dass hier im Namen die Region nicht aufscheint, was aber für die Erscheinung, um die es hier geht - nämlich die Kategorienbildung bei Bauernhausbauformen - nicht wesentlich ist.

Relevant für die Bezeichnung als xxxx-hof ist, dass die regionstypischen Bauformen gewahrt sind. Jede dieser kulturhistorischen Landschaften hat(te) eine für Bauernanwesen typische Architektur und Bauweise, die wiederum bestimmt war durch die Verfügbarkeit von Materialien (Holz, Stein, Lehm, Kalk...), die Besonderheiten der Landwirtschaft (was wächst gut?), die Besonderheiten der Rechtstradition (wem gehört das Land, wie ist die Erbfolge geregelt, etc.), Klima- und Wetterbedingungen und so weiter. Damit sind Bezeichnungen wie Schonenhof, Friesenhof, Oberschwäbischer Bauernhof etc. nicht nur bezogen auf den Ort, wo der Hof sich befindet, sondern bezeichnen auch seine typische Gestalt.

Einige regionstypische Bauformen für Bauerngehöfte werden auf der Seite "Bauernhof" bei Wikipedia vorgestellt.

Weiterführende Literatur

Sigrid Kleinhanns: Der Vierkanthof und seine Bedeutung. Nutzungswandel und Entwicklungstendenzen eines landschaftsprägenden und identitätsstiftenden Kulturgutes. Wien 2012. (Magisterarbeit, Universität Wien)

• Dank dieser Antwort lerne ich von der verlinkten WP-Seite, dass ein Schonahof in Simbabwe zu suchen wäre? & ernst: Die "typische Gestalt" ist eben gar nicht klar, wird für Schweden auf WP nicht gezeigt, und in einer anderen Antwort wird einfach ein rotes Schwedenhaus (ohne Bauer, nur "ländlich") vorgeführt. Mit allen Antworten hier nähen wir uns bislang ganz gut auf der abstrakt-theoretischen Ebene; mit einigen zweifelhaften Inferenzen. – Ein Beleg für die Behauptungsklasse "typisch" (tradional etc), gern auch visuell? Sep 21, 2018 at 11:02
    @LangLangC Wer sich für traditionelle Bauformen landwirtschaftlicher Anwesen in verschiedenen Regionen Europas (oder der Welt) interessiert, wird dazu tausend andere und bessere Quellen finden als einen Wikipedia-Beitrag. Ich verlinke auch nicht gerne auf Wikipedia-Einträge. Aber ich habe im Moment keinen Zugriff auf eine gute architekturhistorische Bibliothek. - Beim Thema "Afrika" müsste man sich erst überlegen, ob dort "Bauernhöfe" überhaupt typisch sind; oder ob man den Begriff Bauernhof so weit fassen will, dass auch afrikanische Wohn- und Wirtschaftsstätten umschlossen sind. Sep 21, 2018 at 11:36

Im GRIMM findet sich zwar nicht der 'Schonenhof', wohl aber der 'Schonenfahrer'. (Bd. 15, Sp. 1506)

schonenfahrer, m. bezeichnung gewisser gildenartiger genossenschaften, so genannt, weil sie ursprünglich aus seefahrern oder rhedern bestanden, die handelsschifffahrt nach Schonen oder heringsfang an der dortigen küste trieben, in Hamburg Röding bei Campe, auch in Greifswald, schonfahrer Dähnert 411b.

Überträgt man diese Bedeutung, weiß man dann, was ein Schonenhof war.

Die für dich rätselhaften 'Flügel' sind einfach die Fügel eines Gebäudes, (just as in English, the wings of a building).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.