Would you translate this as 'general works council' or 'workers council', or something else? The article I'm looking at refers to 'Gesamtbetriebsratsvorsitzende' (presumably the chairman) and later the 'Betriebsrat'...

  • 1
    Have a look at Wikipedia what "works council" is. - I guess the term "general" for "Gesamt" is acceptable and also the suggestion by dict.cc supports that.
    – Em1
    Jun 11, 2012 at 12:22
  • Actually, to answer your question: Yes I would do so as dict.cc suggests.
    – Em1
    Jun 11, 2012 at 12:24
  • To clear up any confusion you could add an asterisk which explains what a Gesamtbetriebsrat is in contrast to a Betriebsrat.
    – 0x6d64
    Jun 11, 2012 at 13:30
  • Both answers seem plausible - thanks. Going with tohuwawohu's because of the reference.
    – neetso
    Jun 11, 2012 at 18:50

2 Answers 2


IATE, a european inter-institutional terminology database (“Inter-Active Terminology for Europe"), offers

Gesamtbetriebsrat: central works council

Betriebsrat (besides works council): works committee, employee committees

But i'm sure that "joint works council" as proposed by Takkat is a good match ,too!


This indeed is a very German expression not only that it is composed of long nouns but also as it describes a very special worker's organisation in German companies. Here is my suggestion (from reading translations of various annual financial reports of larger German companies)

Betriebsrat: works council
Gesamtbetriebsrat: joint works council
Gesamtbetriebsratsvorsitzender: chairman of the joint works council


Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.