Ich habe jemands Mütze im Schuppen gefunden.

How does jemands decline in genitive form?

closed as unclear what you're asking by Carsten S, Arsak, PiedPiper, SomeWindowsUser, problemofficer Oct 4 '18 at 14:41

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• The jemands IS already in genitive case, as you can see here. Maybe that is, why you did not find it during your previous research? Or am I getting your question wrong? – Arsak Oct 3 '18 at 14:51
  • yes sir you are right. jemands is already in genetive case.. but my concern sir is how does "jemand" declined in genetive case which is jemands. die Mütze is fimale, im is the combination of in dem, dee Schuppen is male.. it became im Schuppen because of the dative preposition IN. tnx for the answers sir. – albert Oct 3 '18 at 15:21
    I am sorry, but I still do not get, what exactly you want to know. You seem to understand that "jemand" was declined to genitive case here, and that the genitive case can be spelled as "jemandes" or "jemands". Are you asking, why the genitive case is used in this example? Do you understand the meaning of this sentence? – Arsak Oct 3 '18 at 15:36
  • The fact that Mütze is female doesn't play a role. "Jemand" is a pronoun (someone), not an adjective. Just like in English: someone --> someone's. – Rudy Velthuis Oct 3 '18 at 19:28
    It seems that you have been helped, which is good. But since it is still not clear what your original problem was, it is very unlikely that this question will help anyone else, which is sad. – Carsten S Oct 4 '18 at 13:51

According to the "Zweifelsfallduden" (Duden 9, 8th edition) there are two genitives of the indefinite pronoun jemand, i.e., jemands and jemandes. The latter is the recommended form, and it is also used more often.

I surmise, without proof, that the form jemands is more recent and has arisen from jemand's, where the apostrophe indicates that the e in the original form jemandes was omitted. Maybe, over time, this apostrophe was simply omitted itself. In summary, the following three forms are correct:

Ich habe jemandes Mütze im Schuppen gefunden.
Ich habe jemand's Mütze im Schuppen gefunden.
Ich habe jemands Mütze im Schuppen gefunden.

For in a comment you remarked that it should sound more colloquially, I would recommend to use the indefinire article eine (or shortened 'ne) rather than jemands:

Ich hab' 'ne Mütze im Schuppen gefunden.

Notice again the use of apostrophes to indicate omitted letters.

• thank you for the answer sir... E is not indicated in the word jemands because i used the colloquial form sir.. – albert Oct 3 '18 at 15:16
    According to Duden, jemands without the e is correct as well. They state: "Genitiv jemand[e]s" – Arsak Oct 3 '18 at 15:46
    @BjörnFriedrich Die Form mit e scheint auch häufiger verwendet zu werden (Ngram-Link) – Arsak Oct 3 '18 at 16:01
  • i already figured out why it was decline at genetive case sir.. because someone's cup or jemands Mütze auf deutsch shows possession.. it means if it shows possession it will fall in the genetive case.. thank you – albert Oct 3 '18 at 16:27
  • @albert If you found an answer to your question, you are allowed and encouraged to write (and accept) an answer to your own question. – Arsak Oct 3 '18 at 16:32

It was decline at genetive case, because someone's cup or jemands Mütze auf deutsch shows possession.. it means if it shows possession it will fall under the genetive.

• He albert, in case you don't know yet: you can mark one answer as "accepted" if it answers your question by clicking the check-mark next to the up- and down arrows. – Arsak Oct 3 '18 at 17:47
    When reading this answer, I guess your actual question was "Why?" and not "How?", as suggested by Carsten S and Björn Friedrich in their comments. If that is correct, could you please update your question by editing it? As it is, it is still unclear and might get closed. – Arsak Oct 3 '18 at 17:50

The crucial spot may also be located at the beginning of the word.

Ich habe Jemands Mütze im Schuppen gefunden.

The name of some people is »Jemand« as you can see here: https://www.dastelefonbuch.de/Personen/Jemand

In this case the genitive gets built without the final »e«.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.