sometimes I misspell möchten with mochten but vocabulary doesn't complain. I tried to find out what that word means, but I'm not sure if I get it right. Is the mochten past form of möchten?

Could you please provide me with example?

closed as off-topic by Björn Friedrich, peterh says reinstate Monica, problemofficer, Philipp, Alexander Kosubek Oct 10 '18 at 13:14

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Björn Friedrich, peterh says reinstate Monica, problemofficer, Philipp, Alexander Kosubek
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

No, both exist, but möchten is not the verb in present. Möchten is Konjunktiv II of mögen, and mochten its Präteritum (a past). For instance:

Niemand mochte den Mangel an Recherche. Möchtest du bitte nächstes Mal ein Wörterbuch nachschlagen?

It might be worth mentioning that even if as you rightly say "ich möchte" is Konjunktiv II of "mögen" technically, it has somewhat evolved into a verb of its own that most native speakers would assume to be the simple present of "möchten" (which doesn't exist) and use like that. (Next to no native speaker would realize when asking for a roll in the bakery with "ich möchte ein Brötchen, bitte" he just used Konjunktiv II) – tofro Oct 4 '18 at 8:12
  • In Sachsen sagt man auch: "Richte ihm bitte von mir aus, er möchte mal herkommen." Hier wird der Konjunktiv noch deutlicher. – jonathan.scholbach Oct 4 '18 at 8:48
  • Your sentence with "mochte" sounds wrong to me. – Carsten S Oct 4 '18 at 8:53
  • @CarstenS Ok. Could you say what precisely sounds or is wrong? – c.p. Oct 4 '18 at 9:09
  • It is past tense of "niemand mag diese Frage beantworten", and except for the Konjunktiv II case the construction "mögen + Infinitv" to me seems not to be fully standard. What works for me: "Niemand mochte den Kuchen. Magst Du ihn? Möchtest Du ein Stück?". Here the "mochte" has the same meaning as the "magst", which is different from "möchtest". But maybe I am too strict here. – Carsten S Oct 4 '18 at 9:33

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.