Good day everyone!

I wanted to find verbs related to the eyes but, I couldn't find some of the specific English verbs in German. To see is sehen, look is aussehen and to watch is ansehen. However, I couldn't find glare, gaze and glance in the dictionary. Are there any German word exist for those English words? If there are any words that related to the eyes that you know (especially when it has no specific English translation), feel free to post it in the answer too, thank you.

[EDIT]

1. DWDS is too difficult for beginners like me to use.
  2. In dict.leo.org, the translation of glare is not what I was expecting, all of the translation relates to the sun or other sparkly objects. What I want is a German verb of "to look angrily at something/someone".
  3. As @mic said, there's not necessarily one German verb for one English verb - and vice versa. Which is why I asked for specific verbs that relates to the eyes, because some words may not exist in German and there may be German words that does not exist in English. I simply want to know words that exist in both languages and those that not exist in another. As in Bahasa Indonesia, it has a specific word for "to shake hand with someone", which is berjabat but, in English we need two words; shake hands, which means there is no specific word for berjabat.

closed as off-topic by guidot, PiedPiper, Robert, jarnbjo, πάντα ῥεῖ Oct 10 '18 at 6:20

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – guidot, PiedPiper, Robert, jarnbjo, πάντα ῥεῖ
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Looking into a decent dictionary here should be sufficient, e.g. DWDS if you scroll down to Thesaurus with the synonyms.... – guidot Oct 9 '18 at 14:17
    or dict.leo.org – PiedPiper Oct 9 '18 at 14:18
  • You could also try pons.com – Arsak Oct 9 '18 at 14:48
    Regarding the concept of "one word" vs. "several words": word boundaries are are relatively volatile thing in many languages. You juxtapose berjabat with shake hands, but in German it can be händeschütteln as well as Hände schütteln. I think it is best to just skip the concept of "one word" vs. "several words" and look for expressions of how many "words" ever. More important is the semantic content or concept behind the (cluster of) words. – Christian Geiselmann Oct 9 '18 at 17:55
    dict.leo,org does have the translation of glare you are looking for. You just need to scroll down – PiedPiper Oct 9 '18 at 20:21

As this will become a collection, I am starting a community wiki. - For English equivalents you may then refer to a good dictionary.

• beäugen
  • betrachten
  • blicken, anblicken
  • blinzeln, anblinzeln
  • blitzen, anblitzen
  • fixieren
  • fokussieren
  • gaffen, begaffen
  • glotzen, anglotzen
  • die Augen über etwas gleiten lassen
  • glupschen, anglupschen, beglupschen
  • gucken (kucken), ankucken
  • linsen, in etwas hineinlinsen
  • schauen, anschauen
  • den Blick schweifen lassen über etwas
  • sehen, ansehen, besehen
  • spähen
  • starren, anstarren, niederstarren
  • Stielaugen machen
  • stieren, anstieren
  • die Augen über etwas streifen lassen
  • zwinkern, anzwinkern

There are other idioms (usually compounds) that are quite related, but usually they are not used to the act of "looking" as such, rather to the looking being part of a wider scenery:

• dumm aus der Wäsche kucken
  • in die Röhre kucken
  • bedröppelt kucken
  • mit Rehaugen kucken
  • mit Dackelaugen kucken
  • Krokodilstränen vergießen

Other words are used for activities that necessarily include looking (i.e. using the eyes) but rather describe a broader type of behaviour

• spechten
  • jemanden ausspähen (other activity than simply spähen)
  • Would you mind to include the meanings please? Thank you :) – Logos Oct 9 '18 at 17:17
    @Logos What about you looking them up in a dictionary and entering the English translations or equivalents here? This answer is a community wiki and you should be able to edit it (hopefully, not sure about possible credit point requirements for this though) – Christian Geiselmann Oct 9 '18 at 17:43
  • Oh, I can edit it? Thanks, I'll try to do it after work :) – Logos Oct 10 '18 at 1:07

It's true and obvious that there's not necessarily one German verb for one English verb - and vice versa.

If you want to translate "glare" as "to look angrily at s.o." you may have to add a German adjective to describe this anger.
But actually dict.leo.org gives you all you need in this specific case:

anblitzen
"anfunkeln" is an alternative.

And if you go to DWDS with these words, you get some good examples:

Diederich blitzte ihn so furchtbar an, daß er zurückschrak

Sie ... funkelte mich mit ihren großen Augen zornig an

• Yes, you are correct that there's not necessarily one German verb for one English verb - and vice versa. Which is why I asked for specific verbs that relates to the eyes, because some words may not exist in German and there may be German words that does not exist in English. I simply want to know words that exist in both languages and those that not exist in another. As in Bahasa Indonesia, it has a specific word for "to shake hand with someone", which is berjabat but, in English we need two words; shake hands. – Logos Oct 9 '18 at 14:55

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.