I would like to translate the following sentence to German.

I think that the requirements for students are neccessay to be high

Is it possible that the "sie hoch zu sein" refers back to the first part of the sentence like this?

Ich denke an den Anforderungen an den Schülern, dass es notwendig ist, sie hoch zu sein.

May I ask what your mother tongue is? Not only the german sentence has an awfully wrong grammar and sentence structure, but also the english sentence seems to be a bit strange. Oct 10, 2018 at 8:41
    Both sentences are grammatically incorrect
    – PiedPiper
    Oct 10, 2018 at 9:09
    You can ask of course, although I don't really see how that would help answering the question or at least proceed with it a tiny bit for that matter. Do you need to be a native speaker of either german or english to get an answer here? Oct 10, 2018 at 9:10

1 Answer 1

In German:

Ich denke, dass die Anforderungen an die Schüler notwendigerweise hoch sein müssen.

• With "an", don't you have to use Dative? Like an Schülern? Oct 10, 2018 at 9:16
  • Well, you could use Dative, but then you would use the plural and say: "Anforderungen an den Schülern". But usually you would just say "Anforderungen an die Schüler". Oct 10, 2018 at 9:50
    @DoktorDonger That's wrong. The phrase Anforderungen an die Schüler is already plural, but accusative. It must not be dative here! Oct 10, 2018 at 11:13
  • @Björn Friedrich: Of course, you are right; thank you for the correction! Oct 11, 2018 at 11:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.