There's a thing called a 'toe clamp' (sample image here: https://catalog.monroeengineering.com/Asset/14101p.jpg) that is used to hold a workpiece on a machine table. It's quite similar to what's known in German as a 'Spannpratze' but instead of clamping something down to the machine table, it clamps it on the side. Is there an equivalent term in German?



1 Answer 1


This machinist's catalogue lists your item as


The clamping movement is, actually, inward and down.

The term Spannpratze is actually not proper ("official") terminology in German as defined by DIN and machinist's textbooks - That thing is a Spanneisen.

  • I appreciate your resourcefulnes including areas such as machining tools. I also tried to find catalogues listing these clamps but I did not find one. - I would, however, be cautious with the word "official" in this context. There is, of course, terminology that is recognized by practitioners (here: machinists) and is used in textbooks etc. in the industry. But I would not call this "official", rather "common practice in the industry", or if you like, an industry standard (the latter not in the technical sense, of course). Commented Oct 10, 2018 at 18:16
  • 1
    @ChristianGeiselmann Machinist's language is special: Everyone who knows how to use it, will call the thing that's "officially" (yes, by textbooks and DIN, no caution needed) called a "Rollgabelschlüssel" an "Engländer", a "Gliedermassstab" a "Meterstab", a "Schraubendreher" a "Schraubenzieher", and a "Winkelschleifer" a "Flex".
    – tofro
    Commented Oct 10, 2018 at 18:28
  • Most people here would call a "Meterstab" a "Zollstock". But terms like "Engländer", "Flex", etc. are used here too, by all kinds of "Handwerker" and hobbyists. But these days, even "Handwerker" say "Schraubendreher". Note that a "Rollgabelschlüssel" is not exactly the same as an "Engländer", although both terms are used for both kinds of tool. Commented Oct 10, 2018 at 19:19
  • @tofro and that’s probably the source of quite a few misunderstandings. I’m neither a machinist nor a very handy person, but according to Wikipedia, an Engländer is not actually a Rollgabelschlüssel, but a Universalschlüssel oder Universalschraubenschlüssel ;-)
    – Philipp
    Commented Oct 11, 2018 at 14:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.