Can somebody explain to me, which of the following expressions is correct

• gönn dir

• gönn dich

closed as off-topic by Carsten S, Eller, Robert, Björn Friedrich, guidot Oct 18 '18 at 6:50

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Carsten S, Eller, Robert, Björn Friedrich, guidot
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Correctly it should read gönne. While it is often omitted (especially in commercials) , in writing at least an apostrophe should be used., – guidot Oct 18 '18 at 6:52
  • @guidot Why? The imperative form doesn't require an e, and therefore no apostrophe. – Philipp Oct 18 '18 at 10:17

Grammatically speaking: neither.
In contemporary colloquial language: »Gönn dir.«

The infinitive is »jemandem (oder: sich) etwas gönnen«, so »gönn dir« is just a shortened phrase, but it doesn't necessarily have an omitted part. Its meaning (but not its style) could be translated as »Indulge!«, »Enjoy!«, or »Go for it.«

Ich will noch 'ne Runde zocken.
Gönn dir.

But also ironically:

Ich muss noch zum Zahnarzt.
Gönn dir.

You mentioned »gönn dich«. This is wrong because it would be based on a verb structure that doesn't exist: »jemanden gönnen«.

I have never heard that. – Carsten S Oct 17 '18 at 21:55
  • @CarstenS Could be due to your age. It’s been around for a couple of years (5 to 10). Check out the entry on Mundmische: mundmische.de/bedeutung/35925-Goenn_dir. This just shows it existed 6 years ago, not, that it was actually used. But among my friends (25-35), it has become quite common recently, sort of as late adopters. I don’t know if the youth actually still uses it. – Philipp Oct 18 '18 at 6:55
    Interesting. Yes, could be my age, could also be regional. – Carsten S Oct 18 '18 at 6:58
  • I have never heard this peculiar usage, too. A viable form would be Gönn's dir, which is short for Gönne es dir, meaning, approximately: "Feel free to enjoy it". – Christian Geiselmann Oct 18 '18 at 9:26
    @ChristianGeiselmann This is explicitly not »Gönn’s dir«, but the es has been omitted. The meaning is the same, though. This expression has absolutely hit the mainstream. Mediamarkt now has a »Gönn-dir-Dienstag« (mediamarkt.de/de/shop/goenn-dir-dienstag.html). If that’s not youth language commercialized, then I don’t know what would be, and they wouldn’t do that if there weren’t enough people who recognized the phrase. – Philipp Oct 18 '18 at 9:40

"gönne dir" is the right expression you missed an "e"

https://www.duden.de/rechtschreibung/goennen

It is Konjunktiv 1

https://www.dartmouth.edu/~deutsch/Grammatik/Subjunctive/KonjunktivI.html

Imperative is, without context, a more likely option. And your reference also lists the form without e. – Carsten S Oct 17 '18 at 20:57

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.