So after vowels in the German language you should write ck and after other letters you should write just k. So I was wondering, because Umlauts are the vowels but modified a bit, should you write ck or k after an Umlaut?

Who told you that rule? It's wrong. – Janka Oct 22 '18 at 12:11
    No, it's more complicated like that. I write an answer about it. – Janka Oct 22 '18 at 12:14
    Just a quote: Nach einem kurzen Vokal wird ein Konsonant in der Regel verdoppelt The rule is for short vowels, not for vowels in general. And there may be exeptions, – knut Oct 22 '18 at 12:14
    Well my teacher is a shit teacher anyways, I'm not even impressed it's wrong. – DimitarGraphics Oct 22 '18 at 12:15
    @Pollitzer The language definitely isn't easy but it's not a random mess – DimitarGraphics Oct 22 '18 at 12:30

It is not true that ck is always written after a vowel. As a general rule, ck is written after a short vowel, as in Sack, Socke, Puck. After a long vowel k is used. This is less frequent, but examples of it exist, e.g. blöken, häkeln.

There are exceptions to this rule, e.g. Paket. Even native speakers of German sometimes get this wrong and mistakenly write Packet because of the short a.

Since umlauts can be short or long, they can be followed by ck or k, although the former is more frequent.

The Paket mystery is easily solved. It's Pa-ket. The k belongs to the second syllable, so it cannot have an influence on the a. In contrary, in Päckchen (Päck-chen), the k belongs to the first syllable, so it has to be ck to mark a short ä. – Janka Oct 22 '18 at 12:33
  • As a general rule, "ck" is written after a short stressed vowel (just like the other double consonants "bb", "dd", "ff", "gg", "ll", "mm", "nn", "pp", "rr", "ss", "tt", "tz"). – Uwe Oct 22 '18 at 13:54
  • @Janka: The same could be said in the case of Hacke, Backe, Socke and many more. Hence, the answer is correct to label Paket an exception. The claim that the 'k' sound from the second syllable "cannot have an influence on the a" is downright incorrect. – O. R. Mapper Oct 22 '18 at 16:16
    In "Paket", the "a" is short but unstressed, therefore it's not followed by a double consonant. Same as in "Banane", "Garage", "Kanone", "Kanüle", "Rakete", "Salat", "Tabelle", "Talent". This is not an exception at all. – Uwe Oct 22 '18 at 17:17
    @Janka: I'm not convinced. When you split a word like Hacke and pronounce it syllable-wise, you get "ha - ke", not "hak - ke" or anything like that. In that respect, Hacke and Paket behave precisely the same way. Uwe's remark about the rule not applying to unstressed syllables sounds more likely, though. – O. R. Mapper Oct 22 '18 at 21:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.