How would you translate e.g. "Geometry Revisited" in the context of a book title? Or more generally, "X Revisited" where X is any topic, for example "Penguins Revisited".

Google Translate suggests "Geometrie nochmals besucht" which doesn't sound quite as catchy as the English version...

If you are not satisfied with the google translation, nowadays people use a mashup of languages. German and English are no different, it's called Denglisch meaning you can probably call it Geometrie Revisited.

If not, then my recommendation is: either Geometrie neu-betrachtet. or Geometrie neu-beleuchtet.

Run those through google translate and see if it resonates the same as your original English title.

| improve this answer | |
    The suggestions are not bad but I would omit the dash ("neu betrachtet"/"neu beleuchtet") – RHa Oct 28 '18 at 20:38
    I like your second paragraph, but not the first. – tofro Oct 28 '18 at 20:44

It depends on the the way the material is revisited, but these are other possibilities:

Geometrie

• neu überdacht
  • aus neuer Sicht
  • neu aufgegriffen
  • erneut augegriffen
  • wieder aufgegriffen

Es mag heute seltsam klingen, aber über Jahrzehnte war es in der Welt der deutschsprachig publizierenden Wissenschaft, namentlich in Geistesfächern wie Geschichte und Linguistik, sehr verbreitet, Zeitschriftenaufsätze zu speziellen Themen, die schon öfters diskutiert worden waren, und zu denen der Forscher einen weiteren Gedanken fügen wollte, mit

Nochmals zu...

zu betiteln, also etwa:

Nochmals zum Tod im Mörser: Starben so osmanische Schejchülislame?

Nochmals zum brabantischen Adverb brāͅ

Nochmals zum Hildebrandliede

Ach was, Jahrzehnte. Man findet solche Überschriften schon im 19. Jahrhundert. Das letzte Beispiel ist von 1891.

Evelyn Waughs Brideshead revisited is in German titled Wiedersehen mit Brideshead; Wiedersehen is primarily used for persons and locations, but you only want to see persons again, which you find interesting and like to spend some further time with.

A shorter alternative would sinply be zum zweiten (Mal) as used by an auctioneer counting-down the chances for bids.

Simply

Geometrie neu gedacht

came to my mind while reading my predecessors.

Alternative:

Geometrie in neuem Licht

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.