I want to write the following sentence in german:

"It is a direct contradiction with what we have learned."

But then I realize, the phrase "with what we have learned" can't be translated simply as "mit was wir gelernt haben", because preposition in german can only with noun, right? A quick search on context.reverso seems to confirm my suspicion.

Based on my previous knowledge of german, the correct translation seems to be:

"Es ist ein direkter Widerspruch damit, was wir gelernt haben."

But it is unwiedly and doesn't sound quite right to me. Maybe I'm just too used with the English construct, and germans actually say that?

Am I right?

Are you sure the best preposition in English would be "with", and not "to"? – Beta Nov 10 '18 at 8:14

Den englischen Satz

It is a direct contradiction with what we have learned.

würde man in gutem Deutsch wiedergeben als

Das widerspricht dem, was wir gelernt haben.

Das widerspricht dem, was wir gelernt haben, direkt.

Etwas bürokratischer würde man sich mit einer Nominalkonstruktion ausdrücken:

Das steht im Widerspruch zu dem, was wir gelernt haben.

Das steht in direktem Widerspruch zu dem, was wir gelernt haben.

Das steht in direktem Widerspruch zum Gelernten.

Allgemein sind aber Sätze, in denen Verben das Sagen haben, jenen, in denen Nomen dominieren, vorzuziehen. Es kommt natürlich immer auf den Kontext und die Textsorte an. Und auch der Satzrhythmus kann manchmal sein Gewicht in die Schale werfen.

| improve this answer | |
  • mettre qc dans la balance ist auf deutsch: etw. in die Waagschale werfen. Jede*r kann erkennen, woher deine Interferenzen kommen. :-)) Cheers! – Cheers Nov 11 '18 at 12:24

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.