Does anyone know what the meaning of "ärmelschonend" is? I assume it is some kind of "Redewendung", but I'm not sure.

@jonathan.scholbach Without context (hint, hint) it is hard to tell whether ärmelschonend is a colloquial figure of speech or if it is to be taken literally (maybe the text is about protective sleeves?), although the former is quite likely. – RHa Nov 12 at 9:46
    I would classify the word as rarely used. So, the following is to be regarded with a good portion of suspicion. But - I have never seen this word being used with its literal meaning - do you? – jonathan.scholbach Nov 12 at 9:53
    Why did you tag this with "meaning in context", but then didn't provide any context? – Marzipanherz Nov 12 at 10:16
    @RHa I concede that the question could and should have been improved by adding the context of ämelschonende Arbeit. But besides that, it would be better for us (giving answers) to point the thread opener directly to that problem of their question instead of giving an answer, which probably (and foreseeably) doesn't help them. – jonathan.scholbach Nov 12 at 11:11
    Conteeeeeeeeext! – Christian Geiselmann Nov 12 at 12:15
up vote 2 down vote accepted

You are correct in assuming that this is a colloquial figure of speech.

It is used to denote a type of work which is not physically exhausting, but rather work in an office. I would say, that it has a (slightly) pejorative tone. I think so because of the following semantical associations:

Ärmelschoner are a piece of clothing worn by clerks, to protect the sleeves from being polluted with ink (see https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/%C3%84rmelschoner). So, I think, ärmelschonend has the subtext of addressing that the work is not exhaustive, similar to Schreibtischtäter, which also has a pejorative connotation (even when it is not used do denote officials in the 3rd Reich).

Also there is semantical link to the colloquial figure of speech sich nicht die Hände schmutzig machen (to not pollute one's hands with dirt), which also refers to "someone else is doing the real work for you". So, ärmelschonende Arbeit is a type of work where someone ist not polluting their sleeves / their hands with dirt.

All these critical, if not pejorative connotations stem from the fact that, in ärmelschonende Arbeit, "schonen" (preserve, spare, prevent from damage) stands in a contrast to the noun "Arbeit" (work).

• I'm the one who asked the question, and thank you very much about your answer. It's really helpful! – user35146 Nov 12 at 9:21
    Also see: Ärmelschoner ←→ Knieschoner. – Janka Nov 12 at 13:36
  • @Janka Ja, aber Knieschoner verwendet man gerade bei Arbeiten, die die Knie stark beanspruchen. Eine ärmelschonende Arbeit (wenn man das, ohne den Kontext erfahren zu haben, so vermuten darf) wäre ja wohl andersherum gerade eine Arbeit, die so wenig beanspruchend ist, dass nicht mal die Ärmel (nämlich auf dem Schreibtisch) abgenutzt werden. Oder? – Christian Geiselmann Nov 13 at 9:57
    @ChristianGeiselmann Nein, so ist es nicht. Man trägt Ärmelschoner weil die Hemdsärmel besonders beansprucht werden - als Buchhalter allerdings nur von der Tinte. Und wie bei Wikipedia zu erfahren gibt es auch Ärmelschoner im Lebensmittelbereich, bei Schweißern etc. Und all die laufen durchaus, wie unser Buchhalter, Gefahr, sich die Hände zu verschmutzen, denn Hand und Arm sind zwei unterschiedliche Gliedmaßen. Allerdings lässt sich die Hand leichter reinigen als ein Hemdsärmel und die anderen benutzen wohl meist separate Handschuhe, die sie häufiger abnehmen müssen, während die ÄS anbleiben. – user unknown Nov 14 at 19:02
    PS Ich kann mir als Verwendung für ärmelschonend allenfalls noch vorstellen, das in Vorschriften zum Verhalten in der Werkstatt aufgeführt ist, dass ärmelschonende Arbeitsweisen ärmelbelastenden Arbeitsweisen vorzuziehen sind, also z.B.: Stützen Sie die Ellenbogen nicht auf die Werkbank. Ich finde aber, der Originalfrager sollte uns wirklich endlich sagen, wo er dieses so gut wie unnütze Wort her hat. – Christian Geiselmann Nov 15 at 11:37

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.