I've noticed that people use ''ich liebe...(jmd)'' for people, a lot, but not for things.

How should I say ''I love Medicine'' or ''I love Africa'' or ''I love New York'', for example?

Like, I mean things or places, not people. I don't feel that ''gefällt mir'' expresses the love, the passion that one can have for a certain thing.

Can I say, for example, ''Ich liebe Medizin''. Is there another way to express it in german?

closed as off-topic by πάντα ῥεῖ, problemofficer, Robert, user259412, Philipp Nov 14 '18 at 10:28

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – problemofficer, Robert, user259412, Philipp
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

You can use it for things. Why do you have the impression that you can't? – problemofficer Nov 14 '18 at 0:49

There's no such rule. It's just the fact German speakers consider lieben as overblown. A white lie, most of the times. And those are abhored in German customs. That aside, you could always say

Ich liebe Afrika.

Ich liebe das Fach Medizin.

But using mögen or gefallen is far more common, especially with everyday things:

Ich mag Kaffee. (NOT: Ich liebe Kaffee.)

Mir gefällt ihr Stil. (NOT: Ich liebe ihren Stil.)

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.