Both mean statement in english. Can someone explain to me what the difference between Äußerung and Aussage?

• This looks off-topic, so no answer, but an Aussage is usually something official (to the police, or in court, etc.), while an Äußerung ("utterance") is more general, and not necessarily official. – Rudy Velthuis Nov 25 '18 at 17:27
    compare de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Äußerung (utterance in english) and de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aussage (proposal) – Hubert Schölnast Nov 25 '18 at 17:28
    @HubertSchölnast, maybe you meant proposition? I think statement will fit more often, though. – Carsten S Nov 25 '18 at 19:10

Äußerung = a concrete statement made by a particular speaker at a certain point in time.

Aussage = the logical proposition that was expressed by it.

In a parlimentary debate, lots of speakers can make many utterances (Äußerung), most of which convey the same proposition (Aussage). Conversely, a skilled diplomat might make a single finely crafted utterance and appear to mean slightly different propositions to both parties in a negotiation.

• I consider Äußerung as far more general, anything observable from the outside qualifies, like clapping hands (Beifallsäußerung), groaning (Unmutsäußerung), etc. – guidot Nov 26 '18 at 11:06

Äußerung translates to utterance (as in 'something uttered; a word or words uttered; a cry, animal's call, or the like.'1) while Aussage translates to proposition, the difference is the same as in english.

Sometimes this border does not seem to be so sharp and Äußerung is used in the meaning 'statement, proposition' as well. This might be the source of your confusion.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.