I would like to know any, shall I say, "out-of-use" german words that may or may not carry connotations, like 'jawohl' or 'Fräulein'. And of course words that would sound somehow weird nowadays. I am doing this simply for fun and knowledge. So, more clearly said, write here any outdated german words. :)

Jawohl. simply means Got it. It's not outdated. You may hear

Jawoll!

quite often if one acknowlegdes something which went well. For example, commenting a good move in a football game.

Fräulein is not used any more to address unmarried women. You may still hear it when parents address their daughter.

Ach, das Fräulein will wieder mal verreisen. – Ja, Papa!

There is such a lot of these words. I'll provide you the first two that came into my mind: wohlfeil and feilbieten. Enjoy :-)

Few days ago for some reason another quite outdated word that you might like came into my mind: allenthalben. It's one of my favorites but I almost never use it because many people don't even understand it anymore.

• These are really outdated. Most people had to look them up. – Janka Nov 26 '18 at 8:38
  • So maybe you'll like Oheim as well. – yaccob Nov 26 '18 at 8:46
  • Yes, I like it. You know, examples like that. Maybe you can tell me more :) Like, veryy outdated terms – Dydydy Nov 26 '18 at 13:31
    Among role players these are still in everyday - well, everygame - use – infinitezero Jul 11 at 22:20

The couple of outdated words that come to mind are mädel and schweinhund. I have heard of the former popularity of these words, but haven't personally experienced it. Nevertheless, I especially like schweinhund and would like to see it make a comeback.

It's Schweinehund. It never was Schweinhund. Both Mädel and Schweinehund are still in use. – Janka Nov 26 '18 at 8:36
    In addition to what Janka said, the innere Schweinehund is probably immortal. – IkWeetHetOokNiet Nov 26 '18 at 16:14
  • I wish I would have learned this years ago. I was taught that schweinhund was an insult toward someone, but this makes much more sense.Thanks for the clarification. – Jimmyb Nov 27 '18 at 22:33
    Schweinehund is indeed an insult. Schweinhund is a misspelling usually in English speaking movies. – gnasher729 Nov 28 '18 at 19:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.