I would like to know any, shall I say, "out-of-use" german words that may or may not carry connotations, like 'jawohl' or 'Fräulein'. And of course words that would sound somehow weird nowadays. I am doing this simply for fun and knowledge. So, more clearly said, write here any outdated german words. :)

closed as too broad by Carsten S, user unknown, Takkat Nov 26 '18 at 7:18

Please edit the question to limit it to a specific problem with enough detail to identify an adequate answer. Avoid asking multiple distinct questions at once. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

Jawohl. simply means Got it. It's not outdated. You may hear

Jawoll!

quite often if one acknowlegdes something which went well. For example, commenting a good move in a football game.

Fräulein is not used any more to address unmarried women. You may still hear it when parents address their daughter.

Ach, das Fräulein will wieder mal verreisen. – Ja, Papa!

There is such a lot of these words. I'll provide you the first two that came into my mind: wohlfeil and feilbieten. Enjoy :-)

Few days ago for some reason another quite outdated word that you might like came into my mind: allenthalben. It's one of my favorites but I almost never use it because many people don't even understand it anymore.

• These are really outdated. Most people had to look them up. – Janka Nov 26 '18 at 8:38
  • So maybe you'll like Oheim as well. – yaccob Nov 26 '18 at 8:46
  • Yes, I like it. You know, examples like that. Maybe you can tell me more :) Like, veryy outdated terms – Dydydy Nov 26 '18 at 13:31
    Among role players these are still in everyday - well, everygame - use – infinitezero Jul 11 at 22:20

The couple of outdated words that come to mind are mädel and schweinhund. I have heard of the former popularity of these words, but haven't personally experienced it. Nevertheless, I especially like schweinhund and would like to see it make a comeback.

It's Schweinehund. It never was Schweinhund. Both Mädel and Schweinehund are still in use. – Janka Nov 26 '18 at 8:36
    In addition to what Janka said, the innere Schweinehund is probably immortal. – user800 Nov 26 '18 at 16:14
  • I wish I would have learned this years ago. I was taught that schweinhund was an insult toward someone, but this makes much more sense.Thanks for the clarification. – Jimmyb Nov 27 '18 at 22:33
    Schweinehund is indeed an insult. Schweinhund is a misspelling usually in English speaking movies. – gnasher729 Nov 28 '18 at 19:43

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.