Plurals

sie can be regarded as they, but also Ihr. What's the difference between the plural sie and Ihr? (I'm assuming Ihr is not a polite way of sie.)

closed as unclear what you're asking by Arsak, Philipp, Hubert Schölnast, Eller, PiedPiper Nov 26 '18 at 23:52

Please clarify your specific problem or add additional details to highlight exactly what you need. As it's currently written, it’s hard to tell exactly what you're asking. See the How to Ask page for help clarifying this question. If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

I am not sure I understand you correctly: in 'sie' can be regarded as 'they', but also 'Ihr' do you mean Ihr = sie or Ihr = they? Could there be a typo somewhere? Or could you maybe please add a source to that issue? – Arsak Nov 26 '18 at 16:33
  • I wouldn't say sie can be regarded as Ihr. We don't use Ihr as polite form regularly. It is mostly an old way or preserved locally, see de.wikipedia.org/wiki/… . So sie is they, but Sie (capital 'S') is you in the polite form in singular and plural. Ihr and Sie are therefore only related in the fact that they are both polite forms. ihr is 2nd person plural, but not a polite form. – Javatasse Nov 28 '18 at 23:43

It is as follows:

• duyou (singular)

Hast du das getan? → Did you do that?

• ihryou (plural)

Habt ihr das getan? → Did you do that?

• Sieyou (singular or plural, honorific)

Haben Sie das getan? → Did you do that?

• siethey (plural) or she (singular)

Haben sie das getan? → Did they do that?
    Hat sie das getan? → Did she do that?

• Hi, I'm Chinese. Though you answered the question, I don't understand why when Sie is changed only one character s, it becomes from you to they/she... There must be reason. I mean, in English that is you/she/they, in Spanish that is tu/usted/ella/ellas, in Chinese, we have //她们. You and They are quite different~ – Yarco Mar 4 at 7:56

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.