So it's always struck me that the pronunciations for evil and Stock Exchange would seem to be almost identical.
Is this true?
Or am I missing something in the 'ör' of Börse that makes it sound different?

No, this is not true. They sound different ([ˈbøːzə] versus [ˈbœʁzə]). By the way, it's böse and Börse. – Björn Friedrich Nov 30 '18 at 13:36
    @BjörnFriedrich Note there are dialects where it's pretty close for a non-native speaker - Namely the ones that pronounce "Kirche" as Köache. – tofro Nov 30 '18 at 13:48
    If speaking High German there is a very clear difference IMHO. – stephanmg Nov 30 '18 at 21:08
  • It would be understood as friendly and polite if you took the effort to start your question with something a little bit more elaborate than "so". – Christian Geiselmann Dec 3 '18 at 15:35
  • böse = [ˈbøːzə]
  • Börse = [ˈbœʁzə]

The vowel of the first syllable is different (long [øː] vs. short [œ]) although the two vowels are very similar.

More important:

• The first syllable of »böse« ends with a vowel. Immediately after the long [øː] the second syllable ([zə]) begins.
  • In the first syllable of »Börse« there is the consonant [ʁ] after the vowel (and before the next syllable).

Note, that in German the consonants [ʁ]​, [r] and [​ʀ] are allophones, this means that each of them can be replaced with any of the two others. So also the pronunciations [ˈbœrzə] and [ˈbœʀzə] are valid.

Also note, that the letter r after a vowel often is spoken as a vowel itself (namely as [ɐ]) that is merged with the first vowel to a diphthong. So »Börse« is often spoken as [ˈbœɐ̯zə]. I even think that this might be the most frequent version.

Valid pronunciations of the German noun »Börse«:

• [ˈbœʁzə]
  • [ˈbœrzə]
  • [ˈbœʀzə]
  • [ˈbœɐ̯zə]

Descriptions of the sounds used here:

vowels

consonants

The r in Börse may become a vowel in some regions. Then is may sound almost like Böase, but still different from Böse. – RHa Nov 30 '18 at 17:08

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.