I am writing to a company that will hand over the apartment to me on day X (dass wir uns freuen, Ihnen die Wohnung am 30.12 übergeben zu können) . How to say ' Can I receive/take over the apartment on day Y?' I am not even sure I am using the correct English verb but I hope you got the meaning.

Can I use (übernehmen) ?

It's not really a "Gegenteil", hence I've edited the question. – πάντα ῥεῖ Dec 4 at 21:02
up vote 4 down vote accepted

You are asking whether you can use übernehmen as a reciprocal of übergeben when speaking of appartments. Short answer:

Yes, you can.

Ich würde die Wohnung gerne am 5. Januar übernehmen.

is a perfectly good sentence. Slightly more usual/boilerplate would perhaps be:

Könnten Sie mir die Wohnung auch am 5. Januar übergeben?

and a bit more twisted, but still in common use:

Könnte ich die Wohnung auch am 5. Januar übergeben bekommen?

Generally the variations with übergeben will be perceived as a bit more polite, because they emphasize the other side's active position. (It is more polite to wait them give you something than ignore their action and take it.)

• Thanks a lot for your help. – Ahmed Dec 4 at 19:13

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.