Alles Wichtiges steht in der Frage da oben, aber ich kann es auch ein bisschen erläutern.

In English when I'm describing a period of time in the past I usually say either,

"At this time...", "During this time...", or "In this time..."

When I think about finding equivalents for these phrases in German "Während dieser Zeit..." and "In dieser Zeit..." seem to cover the last two respectively.

As far as the first phrase goes, I have often noticed "Zu dieser Zeit..." being used in a manner that seems to give a rough equivalent. Is this correct to assume? Are there any nuances of meaning that "Zu dieser Zeit..." has which aren't covered by "At this time..."?

You are correct: "Zu dieser Zeit…” is a good translation of “At this time…” and covers most nuances of meaning.
Another possibility would be "Zu jener Zeit" (at that time)

• Short "Zur Zeit" is also possible. Dont confuse it with "zurzeit" though ;) – Alex Dec 18 '18 at 10:42
  • @Ales The question was about describing periods of time in the past – PiedPiper Dec 18 '18 at 23:57

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.