This question already has an answer here:

Now I don't know anything about German but I want to learn German up to level C1. I plan to learn German alone as much as possible. So I'm looking for books to help me reach my goal. I intend to first learn about IPA (International Phonetic Alphabet) and phonetics. I found an excellent material about phonetic in the book "The German Language - A Linguistic Introduction" written by Jean Boase-Beier and Ken Lodge. I also found some sites that complement this material. After I learn about this I plan to read the book "Hammer's German Grammar and Usage". However I don't know what material I should learn after this book.

Researching I have seen that the Cornelsen books are excellent however they are not digitally available (I can't access the books through the Kindle, for example) and they come with CD's. I don't have any CD players.

Could you give me a collection of books (and tell me in which order I should read them) that will allow me to reach the desired level?

I intend to study this way because I believe that this is the most systematic way to learn German. I'm not interested in conversation right now, but at the right time I'll look for a teacher to practice conversation. My initial goal is to be able to read Mathematics, Physics, Biology and Chemistry books in German as fast as possible.

marked as duplicate by Wrzlprmft Dec 20 '18 at 4:33

This question has been asked before and already has an answer. If those answers do not fully address your question, please ask a new question.

• You may find this Q&A here interesting: german.stackexchange.com/questions/620/… – Takkat Dec 19 '18 at 14:03
  • @Takkat I'd like books like those "Studio" from the Cornelsen publishing house. But I won't use them because they come with CD's and aren't digitally available. Do you know of a collection similar to this one that meets these prerequisites? Thanks for the comment! – user35606 Dec 19 '18 at 14:07
  • Perhaps you want give www.iwdl.de a try. That's a website by the German Adult Edcuation Association, as a virtual learning enivornment for learning German. It is free. It covers only levels A1, A2 and B1, but for a start it might be useful. Don't shy away from the pretty outdated graphic design... – Christian Geiselmann Dec 19 '18 at 14:37
  • @ChristianGeiselmann Thank you very much! I liked the site. I also found the books I was looking for. On Cornelsen's website I found the "Studio [21]" digitally available. – user35606 Dec 19 '18 at 15:00
  • Did you see the question about resources for learning German already? – Arsak Dec 19 '18 at 23:17

Most recent German language textbooks now come with some means to download audio data. Some offer it without any restrictions on the Internet (I think Hueber does this a lot), some have download address and an access code printed somewhere near the imprint (very very early in the book).

• This certainly isn’t suited for a comment. If anything, it’s an answer. – Wrzlprmft Dec 20 '18 at 4:42