Is the following correct?:

Voldemort, ein gefährlicher Mörder und ein dunkler Magier, hat erfolgreich die Potters, aus irgendeinem Grund, getötet. Aber mit ihren Sohn, Harry, konnte er aber nicht und daher ist er sofort verschwunden.

My teacher said that "Aber mit ihren Sohn, Harry, konnte er aber nicht." does not make much sense. But I really think it does!

edit: I don't understand why my question is put on hold as an "off-topic". I got actually my answer!

closed as off-topic by πάντα ῥεῖ, Björn Friedrich, PiedPiper, RHa, Philipp Dec 24 '18 at 10:49

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "German Language SE is for specific questions of general interest and to help you learn and understand. Thus, requests for proofreading, spell checking or translations of individual texts are not a good fit here. If you can, please narrow down your question to a single specific source of concern. See this post on Meta for more information." – πάντα ῥεῖ, Björn Friedrich, PiedPiper, RHa, Philipp
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

• The commas around aus irgendeinem Grund are not necessary. In German, commas mark a small pause in speech. You don't want to have more pauses than necessary. – Janka Dec 24 '18 at 10:00
  • can I avoid using toten again? Like "Ihren Sohn, Harry, konnte er aber nicht" – VladiC4T Dec 24 '18 at 10:01
  • Use a synonyms dictionary, e.g. synonyme.woxikon.de/synonyme/t%C3%B6ten.php or openthesaurus.de/synonyme/t%C3%B6ten. The generic term is umbringen. – Janka Dec 24 '18 at 10:03
  • Sorry, how does this answers my question? – VladiC4T Dec 24 '18 at 10:05
  • Ihren Sohn Harry konnte er aber nicht umbringen, und ist daher … – You cannot skip the complement to können in this modal phrase. There are other ways to describe I didn't work. without the modal können. Take a look into the verbs schaffen and klappen. – Janka Dec 24 '18 at 10:10

"Mit" can indeed be used in that way. See for example https://www.dwds.de/wb/mit I.4 where it says it means the same as "Was [ihren Sohn, Harry] angeht, so ..."

However, the sentence is not correct as you wrote it:

• The second "aber" is redundant
  • you need to state what it is that he couldn't do, i.e. provide an accusative object to "konnte"
    • as a side note, "mit jemandem können" without an accusative object has an entirely different meaning: to get along with someone, to like someone
  • "mit" requires Dativ

Aber mit ihrenm Sohn, Harry, konnte er aber das nicht

This still feels a bit clumsy to me, though I can't explain why. To my "sprachgefühl" using "gelingen" instead of "können" makes it smoother:

Aber mit ihrem Sohn, Harry, gelang ihm das nicht

Aber mit ihrem Sohn, Harry, wollte ihm das nicht gelingen

• exactly this is what I was looking for! – VladiC4T Dec 24 '18 at 10:55
  • Side note to the side note: "Du kannst mich mal" is the opposite of getting along with someone – npst Dec 24 '18 at 11:22

Your teacher is right. This sentence doesn't make any sense. If I try to translate it into English I get something like this:

But together with their son harry, but he couldn't.

I have no idea what you really want to tell, but I think you want to tell, that Voldemort couldn't kill harry. So the preposition mit (together with) doesn't make any sense. It shouldn't be in this sentence.

And if you want to tell, that he couldn't kill harry, you have to say it: The German word for kill is töten.

And two aber in one sentence it too much.

I think (but I'm not really sure) what you wanted to say in english is this:

But he couldn't kill her son Harry.

So I would suggest one of these sentences:

1. Aber ihren Sohn, Harry, konnte er nicht töten.
  2. Ihren Sohn, Harry, konnte er aber nicht töten.

Both are correct, and #1 sounds a little bit better than #2.

• In addition, those commas around Harry are not necessary. – Janka Dec 24 '18 at 9:57
  • can I avoid using toten again? Like "Ihren Sohn, Harry, konnte er aber nicht" – VladiC4T Dec 24 '18 at 9:58
  • Before reading the context (and automatically reading ihrem instead of ihren) it actually made sense to me, it was just not the intended sense. Voldemort just did not get along with Harry! :) – Carsten S Dec 24 '18 at 10:32

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.