What is the difference in the meaning of the following two sentences?

1. Ägypten hat ein großes Angebot an Museen.
  2. Ägypten hat ein großes Angebot von Museen.

4 Answers 4

Ägypten hat ein großes Angebot an Museen.

Ägypten hat ein großes Angebot von Museen.

In this context of a selection of offers, both mean the same. The phrase with an sounds better.

But be careful, there's another context in which Angebot an/von means you are making/receiving an actual offer:

Dieses Angebot an euch gilt nur heute.

Dieses Angebot von euch gilt nur heute.

Here, only an/von determines who makes the offer. The speaker (an) or euch (von).

• To me, "großes Angebot von Museen" is something some museums offer (a big offer from/by these museums), not the same as "großes Angebot an Museen", i.e. a big supply of museums. Jan 2, 2019 at 23:10
  • Not if you prefix it with Ägypten hat ein.
    – Janka
    Jan 3, 2019 at 0:24
  • To me, Ägypten hat ein großes Angebot von Museen sounds wrong. Sounds as if Egypt got a generous offer from some museums, not as if Egypt has a plentitude of museums. Only Ägypten hat ein großes Angebot an Museen sounds right to me. Jan 3, 2019 at 8:00
  • Unfortunately, people use the phrase with von quite often.
    – Janka
    Jan 3, 2019 at 10:15
  • People do a lot of unfortunate things. Doesn't mean they are right. Many times, people say "Platzangst" if they actually mean claustrophobia. Jan 3, 2019 at 13:37

Despite the accepted answer, I'll answer with my view on this.

To me, von sounds wrong, in this context.

It sounds as if some museums made a generous offer to the state of Egypt, which is probably not what is meant.

• Ein großes Angebot an Museen means something like a plentitude of museums or, more closely, a large selection of museums, while
  • ein großes Angebot von Museen means something like a generous offer from (some) museums.

According to Duden – Richtiges und gutes Deutsch (various editions), both versions are correct and have the same meaning:

(…) In der Bedeutung »angebotene Warenmenge« wird Angebot mit von oder an verbunden: Das Angebot von / an Gemüse war gering. (…)

However, newer editions mark the version with an as recommended.

A similar example with corresponding translation can be found in Duden-Oxford - Großwörterbuch Englisch:

das Angebot an od. von Gemüse ist immer saisonabhängig the selection of vegetables available always depends on the season;

Angebot an means offer to someone (if you are a seller) Angebot von has the meaning for counter partner. ( if you are a buyer)

• Hello, Mert, and welcome to GermanSE! While you are right in general, in OP’s example sentences, the answer by Janka is more likely to be correct.
    – Philipp
    Jan 4, 2019 at 14:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.