Should I study all of them or I can just use any of them in different case? I am talking about other more verbs which has same meaning but differ in context ..

closed as off-topic by Robert, πάντα ῥεῖ, Stephie, Björn Friedrich, Philipp Jan 4 at 10:01

This question appears to be off-topic. The users who voted to close gave this specific reason:

• "This site is about the usage and rules of the German language. It is not well-suited to replace a dictionary, thesaurus, or conjugation table. If you have already consulted such sources and still have questions, please edit your question to explain what you found and why it did not help. See this post on Meta for more information." – Robert, πάντα ῥεῖ, Stephie, Björn Friedrich, Philipp
If this question can be reworded to fit the rules in the help center, please edit the question.

The more words you know, the better you will be able to a) express finer nuances and b) understand the meaning of texts. By “skipping” or using “one fits all verbs” you are just cutting yourself short. – Stephie Jan 4 at 8:05

The main meaning of erhalten and bekommen is the same (to receive), they just have different niveaus of language (erhalten being the high-level and bekommen the mid-level one). There is a third word kriegen that should only be used in informal speech.
Both words, however, have a secondary meaning. Erhalten can mean to preserve, bekommen can mean to agree in the meaning of "that food agrees with me".

Vollbringen on the other hand has absolutely nothing to do with the other words, it means to accomplish.

• Great answer! Could you please add a German examples for secondary meanings of both erhalten and bekommen? – Foo Bar Jan 5 at 6:36
  • Well, Tim, just look it up yourself. The Duden is usually quite useful. erhalten for instance is here: duden.de/rechtschreibung/erhalten – multiplex et liber Jan 5 at 13:18

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.