While trying to finally nail the adjective endings I stumbled upon this article suggesting a simplified way of learning it:

https://www.learn-german-smarter.com/learn-german-adjective-endings/

But either I do not understand their 2nd principle or the entire idea falls apart while dealing with an example like this:

Ich bin im rheinhessischen Dorf Wiesoppenheim aufgewachsen.

Okay, that's a dual preposition and dative. If I understand the article correctly dative results in an im (in dem) but then where does the en ending in rheinhessischen come from?

Can someone please clarify?

Edit: Also I don't see how this unified table in the article will work with plurals. For instance for this example (plural and nominative):

Die anderen Kinder sind bösartig.

It would suggest e ending while the correct one is en. Does it also fall back to the 2nd principle where Die takes a case ending e? Where does the en came from again?

Are you looking at the right table? The unified table is hidden behind a link that says Click here to download the table for FREE, which I can't actually click but which points here. – David Vogt Jan 5 at 9:28
  • Indeed I has been looking at this table. Ah, would if it were so simple. – user25077 Jan 5 at 11:56
    This question deals with adjective endings. I have just added what I believe to be the simplest exposition of the rules governing adjective endings. – David Vogt Jan 5 at 13:10
    Thanks. It's a nightmare. I'm seriously thinking about not using adjectives at all. 😬 – user25077 Jan 5 at 18:45

Ich bin im rheinhessischen Dorf Wiesoppenheim aufgewachsen.

You already found out: im = in + dem. And I think you also know, that dem is a definite article, and the whole nominal group is in dative case. And the noun Dorf is neuter (das Dorf). So you have to look for:

• definite article
  • neuter
  • dative case

So you need to consult table 1, line 3 column 2, and there you find: ∙en. So the attributive Adjective must be:

rheinhessischen

Die anderen Kinder sind bösartig.

Here we have:

• definite article
  • plural
  • nominative case

This means: Table 1 (definite article), line 1 (nominative), Column 4 (plural), and there again you find: ∙en. So the attributive Adjective must be:

anderen

So, nothing wrong with those tables.

• Thank you. I was hoping this table is a sort of all-in-one thing. – user25077 Jan 5 at 11:59
  • @TimBezhashvyly: No, it is not. There are three tables, and they are different. – Hubert Schölnast Jan 6 at 8:22

Those tables are far too complicated. The single table that claims to simplify things is even worse.

If you understand the system behind adjective declension and learn a few simple rules you don't need to learn tables.

Here's how to work out the adjective ending:

1. Definite article (der/die/das) and similar (dieser, solcher etc.)

• plural -en
    • dative/genitive -en
    • masc-accusative -en

die netten Kinder, dem alten Mann, des alten Mannes, den alten Mann

• all the rest -e

der junge Mann

2. Indefinite article (ein/eine) and similar (kein, mein etc.)

• where the definite article ending gets 'lost' (m/n-nominative, n-accusative) the adjective has to provide the missing definite article ending

das rote Haus -> ein rotes Haus
      der alte Mann -> ein alter Mann

• all the rest are the same as above

3. No article

• the adjective provides the missing definite article ending

frisches Brot, warme Brötchen

• exception: m/n-genitive take -en

heißen Kaffees

Summary: you want to see a case ending. If the article doesn't provide it, the adjective does

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy