I came across this in the title of a fairly tale:

Weiberworte trennen Fleisch und Bein.

None of the standard translation sites I used gave a satisfactory answer (if any at all). Thanks.

Weiberworte: what does it mean?

It means women's words, refering to words spoken by women.
The english title of the chinese fairy tale is indeed women's words part flesh and blood, as for example displayed on wikisource.
When dealing with compound words like this (that you won't find in a dictionary sometimes), you should always try to figure out the individual words and their translation, which helps you to conclude the meaning of the compound word.
Here Weib is an antiquated word for wife or in general women and worte translates to words.
You can find a more elaborated explanation of compound words, and how to deal with them, in Hubert Schölnast's answer to this question.

• So, I read the story, and it seems to mean "The wife's words". I thought that perhaps this is an idiom with deeper meaning. However, the story is either very poorly translated into German, or it's a bad story. Either way, the title has little to do with the content. Thanks. – perpetual Jan 7 at 14:12

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.