Just wondering what the German versions of these words would be, they're all slang words.

• "Like" - It's like not that bad, Sarah sighs
  • "Sis" - "That's not it sis"
  • "lowkey" - "I'm lowkey about to die"

Also, I see a lot of Germans using the English wtf, lol and lmao so I'm assuming there are no equivalents for them.

They (WTF, LOL, LMAO, ROTFLMAO, IMHO, RTFM, etc.) are used because they are known worldwide (coming from Usenet, actually) and have been in use for a long time already. Inventing German equivalents would be silly, and probably hardly anyone would know or use them. There are few specifically German ones, but I personally never use them, so I don't know them. Jan 13 '19 at 20:24
  • FWIW, there are German Internet acronyms too: german.stackexchange.com/a/664/27048 . Jan 13 '19 at 20:36
    You cannot directly translate slang terms or filler words. Slang grows within the groups using it, and different groups (like in different nations) mean different slang terms used.
    – Robert
    Jan 13 '19 at 20:47
  • A German equivalent to FY (or WTF in some meanings) would be LMAA ("Leck mich am Arsch"). The abbreviatioin is much older than the internet. I definitely heard (orally) and saw (in writing) it in the 1980s already. Jan 14 '19 at 11:51

Those "slang words" aren't translateable as single words because they are only understandable in the right context. Which is a number of specific phrases. Germans have different specific phrases.

For example, drinking bros of my age sometimes greet a group as Mädels:

Alles frisch, Mädels? – All fresh, girlies? (A man to a group of men.)

Mädels! Wir müssen reden. – Girlies! We have to talk. (A man to a group of men.)

I don't think those are understood as friendly mocking if you translated them.

I think they are actually understood, if you change girlies into girls (which is also a good and valid translation for Mädels). Don't think only Germans mock friends like that. Jan 13 '19 at 20:04
    "Girlies" is wrong. "Girls" might be ok
    – PiedPiper
    Jan 13 '19 at 23:31
    Girlies sounds gives off an Old man or pedophilic vibe, just sounds odd. I think the English equivalent is Ladies which can be used in a friendly mocking way, girls sounds more mocking than friendly and you'd get weird stares. :3 Jan 14 '19 at 22:08
    Since when is "Mädels" insulting? I'm using it frequently, e.g. "Ich und meine Mädels (=meine Freundinnen) gehen morgen feiern."
    – Iris
    Jan 15 '19 at 9:52
    Well. Now think of a man doing that.
    – Janka
    Jan 15 '19 at 18:39

Like (how it is used in the example sentence) is a stopgap to avoid saying er..., IOW a word inserted to keep the flow of the sentence going. There is no direct or indirect translation. It is not even slang, just an ugly habit. I know a guy who keeps inserting "wie schon gesagt" for the same reason, but that is not a general translation. Filler words exist in German too, though.

Sis is just short for sister (more or less the female equivalent of bro) and in that capacity not really a slang word either. Or did you mean one of the more obscure meanings?

Lowkey, if used as adverb, is indeed slang, more or less meaning nicht wirklich (not really), or kind of. I don't know a direct slang equivalent in German. Of course you can say: "Ich bin irgendwie halbtot" (or even "Ich bin iwie halbtot").

If "like" is only a filler in conversations, German "so" serves a similar purpose (as in: "Ich so zu ihm: ..."). But it doesn't seem that it can be used as a translation.
    – RHa
    Jan 13 '19 at 20:29
  • Yes, "so" is indeed sometimes used for the same purpose, in German conversation. Some people also abuse "also" for the same reason (pun not intended). Jan 13 '19 at 20:31
    @Robert: no, it isn't. One could just as well say "Ich zu ihm: ...". "So" is indeed used as stopgap/filler here. Jan 13 '19 at 20:51
    @Robert: It doesn't have a verb, indeed, but in the example, "so" is not used as halfway replacement, just as a filler, like "like" in (US) English as spoken by some youths. Jan 13 '19 at 20:56
    In my example the verb has been omitted, but "so" is not really a replacement for it, it's rather a modal particle.
    – RHa
    Jan 13 '19 at 21:20

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.