In the phrase

"Manchmal bin ich noch müde, wenn ich am Morgen ins Hotel komme."

whats the meaning of the word "noch" ?

Maybe you should elaborate more about your "doubts". The google translation almost yields exactly the same translation I've used in my answer. – πάντα ῥεῖ Jan 17 at 18:26

The meaning is still

"Manchmal bin ich noch müde, wenn ich am Morgen ins hotel komme."

The correct translation to English is

"Sometimes I am still tired, when I arrive at the hotel in the morning."

There are more uses of noch having completely different meanings:

1. Another

"Gib mir bitte noch ein Stück Kuchen"

translates to

"Give me another piece of cake please."

2. Nor

"Das ist weder Fisch noch Fleisch."

translates to

That's neither fish nor fowl [literally: "flesh"]."

3. Yet

"Bitte jetzt noch nicht."

translates to

"Please not now yet."

• Thanks! Can this word have another meaning ? – Gabriel Simões Jan 17 at 18:26
    @GabrielSimões Yes there are other meanings like "Gib mir bitte noch ein Stück Kuchen". That would translate to "Give me another piece of cake please." – πάντα ῥεῖ Jan 17 at 18:28
    Or: "Das ist weder Fisch noch Fleisch."/"That's neither fish nor fowl [literally: "flesh"]." – Frank from Frankfurt Jan 18 at 15:47
  • @Frank Danke für Deinen Beitrag. Ich glaube die Liste der Bedaeutungen von noch ist tatsächlich länger als gedachtt. Wenn Dir noch (sic!) mehr einfällt, fühle Dich bitte eingeladen meine Antwort zu ergänzen. Entsprechende Änderungsvorschläge werde ich aktzeptieren. – πάντα ῥεῖ Jan 18 at 17:31

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.