Am I going insane, or are people just saying "Guten" whenever I whip out food?

To be more specific:

1. Do people say "Guten" as an abbreviation for "Guten Appetit"?
  2. If yes, is it interchangeable with Guten Appetit or situational?
  3. If yes, can I use it for other phrases starting with "Gut"? Like "Guten Morgen" or "Gute Besserung"?

Context: Northeastern Baden-Württemberg, southwestern Germany.

Haven’t you ever greeted someone with just “morning”? What does it mean? Are you trying to inform them of the approximate time of day, or is it an accepted contraction for “I wish you a very pleasant morning, good sir”? Btw, “ein Guten” is much more familiar, than simply “Guten”. – Mawg Jan 23 at 11:20
  1. yes, you can use it as a replacement for "Guten Appetit"
  2. i would not recommend using it unless you are in a loose colloquial situation (e.g. friends and colleagues), where etique doesnt matter and everybody knows what you are trying to convey anyway. If you want to be polite, then use the complete term.
  3. In my experience "Guten Morgen" can also be abbreviated. But the same reservations apply.

Guude (langgezogen gesprochen) ist typisch für Hessen.1

When it comes to "Guten Besserung", people usually try to take at least make the effort of using the whole phrase to give their best wishes.

Depending on region it could also be: "Gute", "Gude", "N'Guten", "(schönen) juten (Tach) (auch)", "Mahlzeit", "Moin", "Morgje", etc.

Grußformelkarte

Grußformeln im deutschsprachigen Raum

Zur Karte: Hier werden die Sie- und die Du-Form von gleichen Grüßen als verschiedene Grüße dargestellt. »Griaß Eana« heißt auf Hochdeutsch »(ich) begrüße Sie« (sowohl Singular als auch Plural) und »Griaß di« ist »(ich) begrüße dich«. »Griaß enk« ist der Plural der Du-Form (»(ich) begrüße euch«) Das ist in Wahrheit alles ein und derselbe Gruß. Auch auffallend: Laut dieser Karte grüßt man sich in Österreich und in Südtirol gar nicht. Das gilt auch für den Osten Deutschlands – Hubert Schölnast Jan 20 at 8:42
  • @HubertSchölnast: das ist richtig, auch berlin wird auf der Karte nicht aufgeführt. Ich könnte mir auch vorstellen, dass die geographischen Grenzen sich nicht ebenso hart in der Sprache niederschlagen. Was diese Karte allerdings kann, ist eine grobe Ahnung davon vermitteln, dass es unterschiedliche Umgangsformen gibt. Für alles andere hilft vielleicht auch der verlinkte Blogeintrag weiter. – BestGuess Jan 20 at 10:05

BestGuess' circumscription "in a loose colloquial situation" is very diplomatic. :-) I consider Guten plebby. Guten Appetit is neither a long nor a grammatically intricate construction. People who feel the need to reduce it to one word, well, the next step is ointing. Thus I support NextGuess' reccommendation not to use it. It's a matter of style, niveau, ...

Gute Verbesserung doesn't exist, it's Gute Besserung. ;-) It cannot be reduced to Gute. But as Guten instead of Guten Appetit attracts your negative attention, you wouldn't do it anyway. You're on the right side. :-))

Well, i always considered the "Morje" that i received from my colleagues in hessia as pretty sympathetic. I would not use it in a job interview or when talking to a policeman after during a traffic check, but for people you frequently see, it is alright in my book. – BestGuess Jan 20 at 10:09
  • Well I'm a college student so I don't quite identify with high culture ^^ but I even occasionally heard it from work colleges or even my boss, so it might just be considered sympathetic here, like BestGuess pointed out. And thanks for the correction! I edited it in. – H. Saleh Jan 20 at 14:59

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.