For example, I want to explain how I can hear what my neighbours are saying. So I would say my flat is ____________ ?

  • 4
    Just say anything. As long as you say it loudly enough, they'll get the message. – Strawberry Jan 25 at 17:35

The appropriate adjective here is


Which the Duden describes as

besonders von Räumen, Gebäuden o. Ä.) den Schall leicht durchlassend

eine hellhörige Wohnung

-> Precisely the use case in your question.

  • 4
    @tofro It fits the half sentence in the question body. – Stephie Jan 23 at 17:46
  • 13
    @tofro The expression hellhörige Wände does exist (at least in south Germany) – Narusan Jan 23 at 22:30
  • 8
    @tofro I opened this question to check if anyone had already answered "hellhörig", which is the correct answer (I'm a native German). – Tom Jan 24 at 5:13
  • 8
    Another German confirms. – phresnel Jan 24 at 11:05
  • 4
    The formally correct term for walls may well be schalldurchlässig, but if I complain about the walls to my friends, I'll also talk about *hellhörige Wände". – Stephan Kolassa Jan 24 at 11:07

not well soundproofed

... nicht gut schallisoliert.

  • That’s what I say. – Albrecht Hügli Jan 23 at 21:44
  • Ok, ich schreibe immer alles klein auf facebook. Jetzt gebe ich mir Mühe, damit man versteht isoliert gegen Schall und nie ist es recht! 50 jahre haben wir schallisoliert klein und in einem Wort geschrieben, dann kommt der Duden mit der neuen Rechtschreibung und dreht wieder alles um. Verkehrte Welt! Wir Eidgenossen haben unsere eigene Rechtschreibung. Es leben die Gemsen! – Albrecht Hügli Jan 23 at 21:56
  • 1
    Was willst du denn, schallisoliert ist doch ok: duden.de/rechtschreibung/schallisoliert – kutschkem Jan 24 at 6:36
  • 6
    @AlbrechtHügli die neue Rechtschreibung hat nie verlangt, Wörter wie schallisoliert getrennt zu schreiben. Dass man so etwas heutzutage so häufig sieht, liegt zum einen an der hohen Verbreitung von schlechter Software für Rechtschreibkontrolle, die mit zusammengesetzten Worten nicht klar kommt und laufend unnötige oder gar falsche Getrenntschreibung vorschlägt. Zum anderen liegt es an falschem Verständnis, wie eben Deinem, das der neuen Rechtschreibung Dinge unterstellt, die gar nicht da sind. Und dann ist der Duden schuld, wenn Du diese nicht-existenten Regeln umsetzt. – Holger Jan 24 at 11:39
  • 1
    While that word certainly is correct, I feel it's worth pointing out that it is a very technical term: it may appear in a formal complaint to your landlord or their response, or in contexts like scientific studies, lawsuits and the like. However, encountering it in everyday communication would feel weird / foreign / stiff to me (native speaker from central Germany living in the northwest). – Jens Bannmann Jan 27 at 8:39

Also, you commonly hear "Dieses Haus hat dünne Wände" - "This house has thin walls", regardless of how whether the walls are physically thin.



Meine Wohnung hat Pappwände, ich kann alles hören, was meine Nachbarn machen.

Describing as the name implies that the walls are paper thin and not really blocking the sound.

Your Answer

By clicking "Post Your Answer", you acknowledge that you have read our updated terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy, and that your continued use of the website is subject to these policies.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.