I am writing a novel and I need a one word/short phrase for the most common way an individual would praise a dog in German. Either the equivalent of the English phrase "Good Boy" or a popular alternative that a fluent German reader would recognize right away.

It is very difficult, if not impossible, to tell the "most common/popular" phrase.

In my opinion, an often heard phrase to praise a dog is

Braver Hund!

Other possiblities would be

Guter Hund!
Fein gemacht!

I think all would be recognized by a German speaker in that sense. I would prefer the first, but it's your decision, which you like best.

Ei, guter Hund! – Janka Jan 24 '19 at 9:44
  • Interestingly, both fein and brav are loan words of latinate origin (which also exist in English). Which begs the question: How did Germans praise their dogs in 1000 AD? – David Vogt Jan 24 '19 at 18:32
  • @DavidVogt What are the latin words for fein and brav? – IQV Jan 29 '19 at 7:47
  • @IQV You mean which words are they derived from? Old French fin and Spanish bravo or French brave, according to etymological dictionaries. – David Vogt Jan 29 '19 at 9:55
  • @DavidVogt Genau das war die Frage zu dem Kommentar. Ich hatte nur Schwierigkeiten den Bezug zu subtilis und probus herzustellen. Aber ich habe das jetzt so verstanden, dass er sich nicht auf "lateinische" Herkunft sondern eher "latinisierte" Herkunft bezieht. – IQV Jan 29 '19 at 10:00

To praise dogs in German we usually use the phrases

Guter Junge

or

Gutes Mädchen

depending on the gender.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.