I have read that if konjunktiv 1 is similar to Indicative mode, then use konjunktiv 2. Imagine verb Melden, in konunktiv 1 of it, first person singular, first person plural and third person plural , are similar to indicative mode. so I should use konjunktiv2 ?

for example:

"Zeitung berichtet, ich hätte es gemalt"

is this sentence correct?

• This looks like a homework question. Proof reading is discouraged on here. – vectory Jan 25 at 0:51

Zeitung berichtet, ich hätte es gemalt

means

newspaper announces I've painted it

But you want to use Melden (announce)

So I'd write:

"Zeitung X berichtet, die Person Y meldete ABC" (if X assumes a proof of what Y said)

or

"Zeitung X berichtet, die Person Y hat angeblich ABC gemeldet" (if X does not approve of what Y said)

which is equivalent to:

"Zeitung X berichtet, die Person Y haette ABC gemeldet"

• thanks but what about general idea? in konunktiv 1 , first person singular, first person plural and third person plural , are similar to indicative mode. so I should use konjunktiv 2 ? – orodeous Jan 25 at 0:25
    I'm a native speaker and my answer reflects what I'd use in this case... I'm not so sure about the linguistic rules... AND it will change from case to case, from phrase to phrase, from meaning to meaning! – Vickel Jan 25 at 0:27

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.