I was reading some German earlier and a friend said:

Ich bin überzeugt, dass du recht hast

i.e. I'm convinced that you are right

but surely "to be right" must complement the verb "sein" i.e.

Ich bin überzeugt, dass du recht bist.

Is there a logical reason why we use "to have" over "to be" in this instance i.e. haben over sein?

Is there a logical reason, why it is in English "to be right", when in German it is "recht haben"? Why should be English the better or more correct form? The short answer is: It's just the way it is. That's how language works. You can't translate fixed expressons literally.
    – IQV
    Jan 25, 2019 at 8:01
    "but surely "to be right" must complement the verb "sein" - The assertion as such is impertinent. English is NOT the measure of all things, and German, just like hundreds of others languages, does not and need not adapt to what's idiomatic in English. Jan 25, 2019 at 11:53

3 Answers 3

to start with: the correct phrase for your answer is the first one:

Ich bin überzeugt, dass du recht hast

why?

because, if you use the phrase like this it means that you have (own) something, therefore 'haben' is the correct verb

you could rephrase and say

Ich bin überzeugt, dass du im Recht bist

which is also correct, but it translates to a more legal point of view of the phrase like "to be within the law"

both "recht haben" und "im Recht sein" are very close and depeding often on the context which one to use correctly

Wobei “das Recht haben” etwas completelly different bedeutet ... Jan 25, 2019 at 3:24

Such idioms are highly language-dependent.

If you insist on using the German cognate of rightrichtig, it's neither sein nor haben, but liegen! Same for wrongfalsch:

I'm convinced that you are right/wrong.

Ich bin (davon) überzeugt, dass du richtig/falsch liegst.

The other option is using the words recht/unrecht which are adjectives made from the noun das Recht/das Unrecht. But these adjectives are pretty uncommon apart from fixed expressions:

Ich habe das Recht, unrecht zu haben.

The fixed expressions are recht haben and unrecht haben as they are made from the expressions das Recht haben and das Unrecht haben. Those clearly need haben as you aren't a thing but have a thing.

Ich habe recht!

Der Ausdruck wird im Deutschen immer mit haben gebraucht.

(Ich weiss, dass ich recht habe!)

Ich bin recht gibt es nicht.

Wir haben hier den Brauch, für die Antwort die Sprache zu verwenden, die der Frager offensichtlich am besten versteht - in diesem Fall wäre Englisch angebracht gewesen.
    – tofro
    Jan 25, 2019 at 8:08
    Ich habe gelesen, dass hier beide Sprachen opportun sind. So kompliziert ist meine Antwort wohl nicht, aber ich will es mir gerne merken für künftige Antworten. Danke für die Information. Jan 25, 2019 at 8:11
    Es ist ein Brauch - wenn du nett zum Frager sein willst, keine Pflicht. Schliesslich soll er ja mit der Antwort möglichst viel anfangen können.
    – tofro
    Jan 25, 2019 at 8:12
    Und möglichsr viel Deutsch lernen, was er so am besten kann, das war meine Absicht, Jan 25, 2019 at 8:14
    Wir können hier nicht davon ausgehen, dass die Frager Deutsch lernen wollen. Manche wollen einfach nur eine Antwort auf ihre Frage ;)
    – tofro
    Jan 25, 2019 at 8:15

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.