I was watching a German YouTuber asking the difference of normal pork and a special raw minced pork, and he said something too fast that was hard for me to grasp, but it sounds like:

Was ist der Unterschied zum Hackfleisch von normalen?

I was thinking that the expression could be:

Was ist der Unterschied zwischen Hackfleisch und normalen Fleisch.

Not sure if I heard it correctly, but do native German speakers use "zu … von …" to express differences between two things/objects?

Just the other way round: In colloquial German you could hear Was ist der Unterschied von Hackfleisch zu normalem Fleisch? – Stef Jan 26 '19 at 21:17
  • I see, it was a little bit fast and I just hope to make sure how he expressed it. Thanks! – commentallez-vous Jan 26 '19 at 21:19

To describe the difference between two objects one can use:

"Der Unterschied von ... zu ..."

or

"Der Unterschied zwischen ... und ..."

• Is it possible to switch the positions of "von" and "zu" like in the post? Perhaps in daily/colloquial speech? – Marses Dec 2 '19 at 7:55
  • @Marses No you can't change the position of "von" and "zu". – Flo K Dec 3 '19 at 9:36

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.