I need to write a cover letter for a job application, but I'm not sure which preposition would be correct in my context - "in" or "bei". This is my sentence:

Gerne bringe ich meine sehr gute Englischkenntnisse ein, die in/bei der Beratung ausländischer Kunden nützlich sein können.

Which is the correct alternative and why?

The usual preposition would be bei, but in consulting, where Beratung is the business model, in is more appropriate see #2
    – Stef
    Jan 27, 2019 at 7:02
    Gerne bringe ich meine sehr gute Englischkenntnisse ein muss Gerne bringe ich meine sehr guten Englischkenntnisse ein lauten. Warum schreibst Du Deine Bewerbung nicht in Englisch, das wäre sehr überzeugend. Jan 27, 2019 at 10:13
  • Ich würde in diesem Fall bei wählen. Klingt einfach besser. Jan 27, 2019 at 10:17
  • quite oversubtle question would one say who don't know the answer ... I'll try do give one. :) Jan 27, 2019 at 10:21

2 Answers 2

As already noted in the comments, bei is the usual preposition here.

I would consider in appropriate in two cases:

1. It is about a conrete consultation. When one gets a phone call during a consultation, one could say: "Wir reden später. Ich bin gerade in einer Beratung." ("Let's talk later. I'm in a consultation") Another possiblity is a report: "In der Beratung kamen wir zum Ergebnis, dass..." ("During the consultation we came to the conclusion that...") But bei is also possible here.

2. There is a context in which in works well. This would be the case with sentences like "Ich habe Erfahrung in der Beratung von ...", since Erfahrung haben in is a common phrase.

Since these cases don't apply in the example sentence, bei is to be preferred IMHO.

in or bei

Which is the correct alternative and why?

They are both the same correct.

Checking some other sentences you will see that in and bei are used similar in cases where the Englisch original is for and in (or may be at)

here are examples for in dringenden Angelegenheiten:

https://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/uebersetzung/bei+dringenden+angelegenheiten.html

https://www.linguee.de/deutsch-englisch/uebersetzung/in+dringenden+angelegenheiten.html

however looking up right your question there are 4 examples with bei and only one using in.

You can look up LINGUEE English-German and you won't find a difference in use or semantic meaning, while there may be a statistic preference of the use of bei

Don't break your head any longer.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service and acknowledge you have read our privacy policy.

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.