How would I translate "the Departing" in German?

As in "You all, the Departing, give up all hope!"

I doubt "Departing" in this context is a gerund, so how would I translate this verb-turned-into-a-noun?

• You may get better answers if you gave us more context, thank you. – Takkat Jan 28 at 12:34
    Maybe "Ihr, die Scheidenden - gebt alle Hoffnung auf!" (present participle used as a noun by adding -e/-er/-en depending on case, gender and article) – Stef Jan 28 at 13:02
  • Another possibility: "Ihr, die ihr fortgeht - lasst alle Hoffnung fahren." (which you'll only encounter in ancient texts) – Stef Jan 28 at 13:13
  • "Ihr, die ihr uns verlasst, ..." - this would avoid assuming they are literally going. Similar to "die Scheidenden" in that sense, but doesn't sound so uncommon. Btw, the original from Dante's Inferno is "Abandon hope all ye who enter here" – thm Jan 28 at 17:00

As no-one came up with a better idea I'll cast my comments into an answer.

... how to translate a verb turned into a noun?: take the present participle of the verb and add -e/-er/-en depending on case, gender and article:

Verb scheiden >> participle scheidend >> noun der/die Scheidende (sg.), die Scheidenden (pl.)

"You all, the Departing, give up all hope!" = Ihr, die Scheidenden - gebt alle Hoffnung auf!

Or use a verb as in Ihr, die ihr fortgeht/von uns geht/uns verlasst..., see comments above.

You'll frequently find participles turned into nouns as titles of works of art:

Die Stehende von xyz. = Standing woman by xyz.

Note that in English, you'll have to add a noun to make clear who is standing here. In German, this is expressed by the article: der Stehende / die Stehende / die Stehenden.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.