I was reading about Geography in German and the following sentence appeared:

Die Niagarafälle sind bekannte Wasserfälle zwischen den USA und Kanada.

Now, with specific nouns regarding places (Niagara Falls above) I was thinking

Do all nouns related to a location have the same gender i.e. "Die" or is it case specific i.e. they vary for each noun?

I haven't been able to find a convenient answer thus far.

• See also this question about gender of rivers in germany
    – Tode
    Jan 29 '19 at 10:22
    Niagarafälle is plural (singular: der Fall, plural: die Fälle). So the die is there not because of gender but because of the plural.
    – RHa
    Jan 31 '19 at 10:32

The gender of Niagara Falls in German is not that of the proper noun "Niagara" (whatever that might be), but rather that of a "normal" noun - "der Fall" (m), or here in the plural, "die Fälle".

German (like English) often adds a "normal" noun to the proper noun of remote places to make sure people know what we're talking about - The gender of the whole name is then that of the "normal" noun like in

• der Berg Sinai
  • der See Genezareth
  • der Sambesi-Fluss
  • das Kaspische Meer
  • die Wüste Gobi
  • Brilliant. Such a simple explanation that I can't seem to find anywhere else as clear as yours. Cheers!
    – vik1245
    Jan 28 '19 at 23:38
    And those "normal" nouns often don't even have to be there. It's still der Sinai, der Sambesi or die Gobi.
    – Janka
    Jan 29 '19 at 0:00
  • @Janka Dangerous: der Himalaya vs. das Himalaya-Gebirge
    – tofro
    Jan 29 '19 at 7:39
  • Maybe a slight addition: "Fall" is a little bit special in that it is a shortened form of the noun that would be used on its own, "Wasserfall". Without a proper name such as "Niagara" placed in front of "Fall" (or "Fälle"), no-one will know what you are talking about if you just say "Fall" instead of "Wasserfall". Jan 31 '19 at 12:20
  • @O.R.Mapper Admittedly, I rarely hear "Fall" (meaning falling water) alone. In an article about Niagara Falls, you might, however, find a lot of occurrences of "Fälle" without the proper name. Example: The Wikipedia Article on "Niagarafälle" contains 11 occurences of "Niagarafälle" and 20 occurrences of "Fälle".
    – tofro
    Jan 31 '19 at 13:10

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.