As a native German speaker, how accurately can you guess the gender of a noun you don’t know (or whose definition you know, but whose gender you don’t)? For more common nouns, how often do you forget their gender? To you, are there any significant commonalities in the “feel” of the words of the different genders? Maybe how they’re spoken, what they connotate for you emotionally, temporally, spatially, etc.?

• In my opinion, this is not a duplicate since the question isn't about new words, it's about unknown words. – David Vogt Feb 2 '19 at 10:24
    @DavidVogt: the answers should be pretty much the same. Most of the question would be primarily opinion based anyway (I usually prefer dupe over other close reasons). – Takkat Feb 2 '19 at 12:12
    @DavidVogt Agree with Takkat - new also includes new to you = unknown. – tofro Feb 2 '19 at 12:18
    Most new German nouns are new compounds. They inherit their gender from the last component. For the very small remainder, I go for the ending syllable and assume the same gender as the majority of words with the same nominative ending. – Janka Feb 2 '19 at 12:41

Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.