I am newbie to the German language, but I have noticed that all animal names that end with letter "e" are feminine, and form their plural by adding -n at the end. Is this true?
If not give me some examples please.

"but I have noticed that all animal names that end with letter "e" are feminine" Your observation was wrong. The ending e isn't a general indication of feminine. – πάντα ῥεῖ Feb 8 at 0:07
    If you are asking about the actual gender (sex): Aninal names are often used generically without implying a gender. Der Hund can be male or female, and you can clarify by using Rüde (male) or Hündin (female). If you're asking about grammatical gender: most nouns ending in "e" are female, not limited to animals. – Robert Feb 8 at 1:22
  • @Robert Like "Affe" and "Löwe"... – tofro Feb 10 at 15:21
  • @tofro That's why I wrote "most", not "all". – Robert Feb 10 at 17:44

Here are a few counterexamples: der Hase, der Löwe, der Riese, der Junge. In general, though, you can safely add an -n to form the plural (just watch out for "das Knie, die Knie").

You might enjoy this article.

• der Hase,der Junge are not animals – mostafa elmadany Feb 7 at 20:59
    Der Hase is certainly an animal, by any definition. Der Junge is arguably also an animal, according to biologists - a mammal and a primate, a young male of the species Homo sapiens. – I. Riley Feb 7 at 21:03
    Riese und Junge sind keine Tiere im Sinne von Tierarten, sowenig wie Russe oder Komparse. Die generische Form für Junge ist, wenn es um menschliche Jungen geht, Mensch. Das Lerchenjunge ist eine Lerche. Hase und Löwe können wir aber gelten lassen. :) Knie dagegen wieder nicht. – user unknown Feb 8 at 0:35
  • @userunknown "das Lerchenjunge"?. Wirklich? Fast so gut wie "das Kuhjunge". Das Wolfsjunge ist OK, aber wenn wir "Küken", "Kalb" o.Ä. nehmen können, würden wir nicht "Junge" sagen. – tofro Feb 8 at 7:18
  • Du meinst das Huhnjunge! – npst Feb 8 at 8:32

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.