I was thinking about the sentence

Es gibt zwei Supermärkte in meiner Stadt.

and I was stuck to whether Stadt would be dative or genitive.

I know meiner is the possessive adjective in this situation but I thought as the "Stadt" belongs to me, this would be the genitive case i.e. the "Supermärkte" belongs to "Stadt".

Is it genitive or dative?

And to add, if it is genitive (and I am right) why would you need the preposition "in" i.e. why not just write:

Es gibt zwei Supermärkte meiner Stadt.

"Es gibt zwei Supermärkte in ..." in wem oder in was? -> dative. For genitive, it would have to read e.g., "Die zwei Supermärkte meiner Stadt haben schon geschlossen." Your example for genitive is not idiomatic. You will be understood, but it sounds more like the city owns the supermarkets, as opposed to the supermarkets being in the city. – Robert Feb 12 at 2:52
    @Robert Die Frage nach dem Ort heißt Wo? – Björn Friedrich Feb 12 at 7:17

"In meiner Stadt" is an adverbial telling the place.

The preposition in governs dative or accusative, never genitive. Because it's about place and not about direction, dative is the only option.

"Es gibt zwei Supermärkte meiner Stadt" is not ungrammatical, but highly unusual.

This would also indicate, that the city owns them. – infinitezero Feb 12 at 8:01

Dativ wenn man sagt, Es gibt zwei Supermärkte in meiner Stadt.

Genetiv: Diese zwei Märkte meiner Stadt sind schön

Stadt hat den Artikel "die" so in Genetiv wird "der"

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.