What is the difference between drin and darin?

I often hear people saying these two words, but I am not sure about situations on how to use them.

"Drin" is a colloquial short form of two different words, either

darin

or

drinnen

So one can use "drin" in colloquial speech short for "darin", but not the other way: when "translating" colloquial speech in a formal form, one has to decide if drin is used as short form of darin or drinnen.

Examples:
Die Kinder spielen lieber drin. -> Die Kinder spielen lieber drinnen.
Ich habe drin nichts gefunden. -> Ich habe darin nichts gefunden.

• I'm not sure if its a colloquial form of "drinnen" too. The "e" is nearly not hearable in colloquial speech, but shortening it to "drin" sounds wrong for me. – Iris Feb 13 at 12:37
  • @Iris Der Duden unterstützt die Sichtweise. – IQV Feb 13 at 12:41
  • es gibt auch Google Treffer für "drin spielen", es gibt also Leute, die das sagen. Für mich hört es sich trotzdem seltsam an. – Iris Feb 13 at 14:28
    @Iris. I guess, there is some flexibility on how people spell it out on the internet. I agree with your observation that it is common to pronounce it "drin|n" with a silent e. On the other hand, I believe many non-native speakers have trouble hearing such details anyway. As the question was referring to spoken language, I would think it is fine. – Bernd Konfuzius Feb 13 at 15:01

'drin' is a contraction of the word 'darin'. source: https://en.wiktionary.org/wiki/drin

As such, it is colloquial to use 'drin', but as you noticed both forms are common in daily conversation. As a beginner, I wouldn't worry too much about it.

In official writing / letters, and public speeches, one should use only the formal 'darin', though.

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.