My German colleagues use the word 'quasi' . I wanted to use that word in my conversation but I am still confused about the usage of the word and grammar.

Sujatha could you please provide examples. This will make it easier to understand your question and explain it in the best way – Bernd Konfuzius Feb 13 at 13:04
    Those are two questions and should be asked seperately (see german.stackexchange.com/tour) – Iris Feb 13 at 14:33
  • Please ask the question on sogenannte separately, thank you. To see the original for copy & pase just go to revision link at edited... ago. – Takkat Feb 13 at 14:51
    Quasi drückt schon mal kein Konzept aus. Es ist ein Wort, dessen Bedeutung man leicht nachschlagen kann. – user unknown Feb 13 at 16:27

From my experience this is in most cases just a filler word (expletive) and does not contribute to the meaning similar to you know in English.

The user wins some time to think about what should follow later in that sentence while speaking. As additional benefit the resulting sentence sounds more sophisticated, without much justification.

• I can practically relate this in my office because my Product Owner almost uses this word in 2 out 3 sentences he speak. :-) – Sujatha Rajesh Feb 14 at 9:41
  • I can be that in some regions people say "quasi" in the same way as "ehm" or "genau". But the question was: "what is the concept". I think "ähm" is not a concept. I knew this word from my father. It wasn't a filler word. He was a poor gardener and a farmer son. He used it when he explained to me the greek or latin name of flowers or mushroms. I've never heard this term again and I only used it once conducting a brass band: it is really an official musical expression. But they were mocking about me because they thought I was using it in the purpose as guidot mentioned. I really didn't know – Albrecht Hügli Feb 15 at 8:58
  • @AlbrechtHügli: I'm unsure, what concept means in the original question. If it were meaning, the question would be off-topic anyway (covered by dictionary). My statement is, that quasi may simply mean nothing and considered that as a concept. – guidot Feb 15 at 9:12
  • yes, I always used what concept of concept has someone when he says concept. the term concept has become the same kind of "abgefucked" as terms like "project" and "genau", "abolut" and " unbedingt" and "definitiv"! in these cases I would absolutely underline what you're quasi saying: "As additional benefit the resulting sentence sounds more sophisticated, without much justification." DEFINITELY! :) – Albrecht Hügli Feb 15 at 10:03
  • Can't agree to that answer. quasi says nothing more or less effectively or virtually. Example: Das ist quasi das Ergebnis der Diskussion. // This is effectively the outcome of the discussion. – pallox Feb 28 at 13:23

quasi means „sozusagen“, „gewissermassen“:

https://www.wissen.de/synonym/sozusagen

English: in other words ...

This is an adverb describing e.g. the style how a tune may be played:

quasy legato

Google translates it with "so to say", but i think in use I would rather translate it with "practically", in the usage of "those two things are practically the same". This would translate to "Diese zwei Dinge sind quasi (praktisch/sozusagen) dasselbe."

It is mostly used in cases when things are so similar that there is near to no difference between them "Meine Art zu laufen ist quasi rennen" - "My way of walking is 'practically' running" (because I'm a very fast walker).

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.