I wonder if its pronounciation is something like /'tæ:k/ or /'taːk/ or something between them.

Here in Google Translate the pronounciation of "Tag" is /tæk/ but amazingly here the pronounciation of "Tag" is /'te:k/!

Is there any difference?

how should we pronounce "a" in "Tag"?

• Your first link seems wrong, I see no “Tag”. – Carsten S Feb 13 at 17:50
    Please remember to capitalize German nouns. – Carsten S Feb 13 at 17:52

/'taːk/ is the right pronounciation. Tag as a time

/'tæ:k/ is an anglicism, which is the English word 'tag' taken into German Tag as anglicism

• What about /tɒːk/? Is this pronouciation possible? especially "Tag" in the phrase "Guten Tag"? – AmirhoseinRiazi Feb 13 at 18:19
  • @AmirhoseinRiazi No, in Standard German it's definitely not /tɒːk/ (dialects may differ). It can be /tɑːk/, though, depending of the speaker. – Uwe Feb 13 at 19:00
  • there are some dialects where /tɒːk/ is used(mainly South East of Germany), but it would more likely be /dɒːɡ/ ...but in German it's definitly /'taːk/ – miep Feb 13 at 20:19

Maybe Google Translate was confused by the English tag.

See https://www.dict.cc/?s=tag and https://www.dict.cc/?s=guten+tag for some real spoken examples.

The pronunciation is taːk, I have no clue what could have confused Google Translate.

• What about /tɒːk/? Is this pronouciation possible? especially "Tag" in the phrase "Guten Tag"? – AmirhoseinRiazi Feb 13 at 18:23
  • I guess the word tag like in hashtag could have confused Google. – Rudy Velthuis Feb 17 at 18:46

There is regional variation in the standard pronunciation. In Northern Germany, many people will pronounce this word as [ˈtʰax], whereas in the South, the pronunciation [ˈtʰaːɡ̊] may be more common. The prescriptivist standard pronunciation [ˈtʰaːkʰ] the others have mentioned is probably not much used in actual speech.

• Hmmm... ISTM that the standard ponunciation is often used in standard speech, but perhaps not in the far North or South and certainly not in spoken dialect. – Rudy Velthuis Feb 17 at 18:45

Your Answer

By clicking “Post Your Answer”, you agree to our terms of service, privacy policy and cookie policy

Not the answer you're looking for? Browse other questions tagged or ask your own question.